[Marxism] "we now have very, very low propensity to enlist"

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri May 27 18:48:50 MDT 2005

GEN. ROCHELLE: I don't believe anyone believes it's a life or death
situation. Is it challenging? Yes. It's challenging under the very best of
conditions. Today's conditions represent the most challenging conditions we
have seen in recruiting in my 33 years in this uniform. We are faced with
very low unemployment; the first time that the all-volunteer force has been
challenged in sustained land combat -- I believe that the total casualties
are up over 8,000. And in point of fact, we now have very, very low
propensity to enlist, both on the part of our young Americans and likewise
on the part of influencers -- and by that, I mean parents, coaches, other
adults whose opinions matter to our young 17-to-24-year-olds -- to
recommend Army service. Those couple to provide a very, very challenging
environment.

Yes, ma'am?

Q: Could you explain why you think that parents and young people don't have
a propensity to join?

GEN. ROCHELLE: I don't have a lot of research to answer that question,
merely Department of Defense-level research that does tell us -- and it's a
quarterly research -- biannually, excuse me, that does tell us that parents
are less inclined today than they were immediately after September 11th to
recommend.

Q: But if you don't have reasons, you can't address that. Knowing that they
are less inclined is one thing, but knowing why they are less inclined
allows you to address the problem.

GEN. ROCHELLE: Well, if we attempt to address every problem, I think it
would simply water down our message. What we are attempting to do is focus
on the value of service. And the secretary of the Army has launched a
campaign -- (pause) -- a call to duty campaign. I was going to say call to
service, but it's in fact call to duty campaign, which elevates service to
a whole different level -- elevates it to the level of patriotism; elevates
it to the level of service to country, service to nation.

(snip)

Q: General?

GEN. ROCHELLE: Yes?

Q: Can you comment a little bit more on the data on influencers? I mean,
how much further down is it compared to September 11th? And is it simply
that we're in an extended conflict in Iraq that's driving it down, you
know, compared to the patriotic fervor after September 11th, or how do you
explain it?

GEN. ROCHELLE: Let me see if I can recall the numbers. I believe that
shortly after September the 11th, the propensity for influencers was
measured at about the 22 percent who would say, yes, I would recommend
military service to a young man or woman of recruitment age. And the last
data point I saw, it's down to -- I think it's 14 percent, if that gives
you some relative scope.

Would I attribute it to any single factor? No, sir, I would not. I think
it's far more complex than that.

full:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/news/2005/05/mil-050520-dod01.htm