[Marxism] Re: Lincoln as industrial capitalist

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Sat May 28 16:13:02 MDT 2005

I think in this context, Lincoln meant this the way we read it...with
the double meaning of labor as the active human agency that creates
wealth.  Gabor Boritt's ABRAHAM LINCOLN AND THE AMERICAN DREAM explores
this in an entire chapter.

One of my favorite quotes on this was Lincoln's chastising of white
workers in New York after the Federal Draft Riot...in which Lincoln
deplored the propensity of one group of workingmen to attack another
group based on race.

Best,
Mark L.