[Marxism] Lessons of the abortive AUT boycott

James Daly james.irldaly at ntlworld.com
Sun May 29 07:57:29 MDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Louis Proyect" <lnp3 at panix.com>
To: <marxism at lists.econ.utah.edu>
Sent: Saturday, May 28, 2005 4:56 PM
Subject: [Marxism] Lessons of the abortive AUT boycott

Original Message

Counterpunch Weekend Edition
May 28 / 30, 2005
Lessons to be Learned
The Reversal of the AUT Boycott

By TOUFIC HADDAD

......Perhaps the most significant aspect of the attempted boycott in
the first place was its efforts to link the just cause of the
Palestinian national movement ­ its right to self-determination, for
return of refugees, and for freedom from racism, exclusionism and
colonialism practiced by Israel - to the domestic struggles of the
Western working class, in this case, the struggle of university
lecturers in the UK. No doubt the enormous mobilization witnessed by
pro-Zionist forces to help overturn the vote is evidence of the degree
to which Israel and its allies perceive the strategic threat of
initiatives like this in the future. This cannot merely be attributed
to the conspiratorial powers of Zionist lobbies or the arm twisting
that may or may not have taken place behind closed doors, and which
are yet to be exposed. Rather, Israel and its allies perceive attempts
to build an international boycott campaign against them as a strategic
threat, precisely because it mobilizes a force that has largely been
absent from the traditional theatre of struggle ­ the working classes
in the West.

full: http://www.counterpunch.com/haddad05282005.html

J. D. --

With the AUT the Israeli Zionists have a pushover.  In 1972 some of us
in Queen's University, Belfast tried to get a motion against
internment without trial passed by the local branch.  We were
defeated, to foot stamping etc.  That might have seemed a local orange
triumph, but what followed was more sinister.  The Belfast branch
successfully lobbied the "national" committee not only to withdraw its
support for an AGM resolution in support of Angela Davis, but to
suppress it -- on the grounds that discussion of it might embarrass
Belfast AUT in its struggle against subversives.

The leopard did not change its spots.  In 1999 a crusading neo liberal
Vice-Chancellor Bain "targeted" (in his own words), as not likely to
produce sufficient research for a UK audit, over a hundred staff, of
whom I was one -- specific predictions and recommendations came to him
from heads of department!  -- and asked them peremptorily to leave.
Years of intimidation and appalling stress had preceded this attempted
illegality, and the cage rattling was too much for many staff, who
left in misery.  The rest of us thought we really were going to get
pushed out -- there was no academic tenure in the British system. (As
a matter-of-fact I over fulfilled the research quota whereas dishonest
fat academic cats who had tortured us failed spectacularly).

I did not even bother going to the AUT, whose afiliation to the TUC I
had voted for in the Seventies. They never issued a public statement
on the Vice-Chancellor's "plan". They never came to me although the
list was public, but friends who sought help said the best they got
was sympathetic handholding -- and encouragement to do more research
(although funds were denied to the "targeted" -- a hoped-for
self-fulfilling prediction).

Comradely
James Daly