[Marxism] Capitalism and the Universities Query

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Tue Nov 1 08:17:35 MST 2005

Calvin, your complaint sounds very much like the conservative
anti-intellectualism....

However, I think you already know the answer to your own question.  You
are entirely mistaken in suggesting that universities spend "so much" on
"obscurantist philosophy," "esoteric conservatism," or things "utterly
worthless, from the point of view of capitalism."   Physical capital
(buildings, etc.) and major marketable research (medical and
pharmaceutical research, etc.) or athletic programs eat up the real
money.  Defending these priorities is what "keep the university big wigs
earning" many times what the faculty, clerical and maintenance people
make.

As to the many "worthless" academic classes of which you complain, many
cost no more than the use of a classroom, some chalk, and however little
you can get paying someone to teach the subject...lots less than high
school teachers in most cases.

As to who'd get to decide what's "rubbish" to be discarded, I suspect
that if such a decision to start getting rid of the "worthless" fields,
it wouldn't be you or me or anyone on this list making that decision....

Solidarity!
Mark L.