[Marxism] Our Second Anniversary and Call for Support

M. Junaid Alam alam1 at lefthook.org
Tue Nov 1 17:46:01 MST 2005

Second Anniversary and Call for Support

Dear /Left Hook /Readers,

This month marks the second anniversary of our publication. When we
first initiated/ Left Hook/ in November 2003, we hoped to make a modest
contribution to the American Left by creating a space that was sorely
lacking: an independent, online presence for young leftists to express
their ideas, network with one another, share experiences and gain
confidence.

It is, of course, up to the reader to gauge to what extent we have
succeeded. Looking over the past two years, however, we take some pride
in the fact that hundreds of college and high school-aged youth have
learned from each other and written inspiring pieces that have been read
by hundreds of thousands of visitors - young, old, and everything in
between.

We are equally glad to note that, despite the heavy pressures of
jingoism, and paranoia – pressures which often come from the “left” as
much as the right in America - /Left Hook/ has maintain a principled
leftist position since its inception, allowing us to continuously
publicize and support key efforts on the ground such as the anti-war
movement, which we have defended not only through analysis, but ground
reports and interviews with Iraq war veterans and student anti-war
activists.

However, our success is ultimately determined by *you*: our readers and
supporters. Without your help, we cannot maintain the journal’s quality,
sponsor more contests, conduct enough interviews, or pay for more web
space. We work hard to constantly improve – more updates, more original
material, more youth content, better redesigns, a new blog, and so on –
but what's needed to keep this unique endeavor going is *your financial
support*.

We run donation drives just twice a year. Six months ago, we set a goal
of $3,500. We barely made half that, but, undaunted, we kept plugging
away, hoping to earn your support later on. We have no corporate
sponsors, no business cronies, and, sadly, no rich Yale graduates here.
Just two intensely overworked college students doing all the writing,
editing, updating, outreach, and web work you have enjoyed at this space
for two years.

Therefore, we kindly ask you to please support this important project by
making a donation today. <http://lefthook.org/Support.html>

We are setting the very modest goal of just $2,500 to keep us going this
time around. Given all the work, time, and energy Left Hook requires,
*we cannot continue without meeting this goal* by month’s end. So,
please contribute <http://lefthook.org/Support.html>if you value what is
produced here, and encourage friends to do the same.

As an additional incentive, we are offering a free gift to anyone making
a contribution of $40 or more: the book Is There an Islamic Problem?,
<http://www.islamicity.com/m/bazar/action.lasso.asp?-db=Bazaar&-lay=Product&-format=detail.asp&-error=error.asp&-op=cn&Part_no=03046-4764&-find>

praised by Noam Chomsky as “informed by deep understanding of the
cultural and economic history of Islamic and European societies, and of
influential contemporary scholarship and debate;” the author is M.
Shahid Alam <http://counterpunch.org/shahid10292005.html>, father of one
of the editors, professor of economics at Northeastern University and –
most praiseworthy from our point of view – a target of Bill O’Reilly’s
televised wrath on Fox News last year!

Thank you for supporting Left Hook <http://lefthook.org/Support.html> –
still the only online independent leftist youth journal in America.

Sincerely,
The Editors
Derek Seidman and M. Junaid Alam

=========

*Praise for Left Hook:*

*"Left Hook has been providing refreshing, informative, independent
reporting and analysis, with flair and insight. It's a very valuable
contribution, much needed."*

/- Noam Chomsky, professor at MIT and author of Hegemony or Survival/

*"In a time when the left is still trying to struggle out of its
post-90's malaise, the voices of both clarity and militancy must be
cherished and nurtured. Especially when those are the voices of the
young upon whom the world depends for the continuity of a politics of
resistance to the devastating criminality of late imperialism. Left Hook
is one of the most important of those youth voices, coming in loud and
uncluttered by the hand-wringing individualism of liberal poseurs and
life-style 'radicals.' Read it. Contribute to it. Distribute it. And
support it."*

/-Stan Goff, former Master Sergeant in the US Special Forces, anti-war
activist with Military Families Speak Out, and author of Full Spectrum
Disorder: The Military in the New American Century/

*"I appreciate Left Hook for standing up against injustice."*

/-Tariq Khan, former Air Force munitions personel and student anti-war
activist beaten and attacked at George Mason University
<http://lefthook.org/Ground/Alam100505.html> on September 29, 2005/

*"Left Hook has been a tremendously important addition to the left in
this country."*

/-Dave Zirin, regular sports commentator for Air America and XM Radio’s
‘On the Real’ with Chuck D and Gia’na Garel./

*"Left Hook is unique among progressive electronic journals, both
because it is run by two amazing young men and because it provides
incisive analyses which have no match. Editors Seidman and Alam cover a
wider spectrum of issues and regions than do other journals - ranging
from the Ivory Coast to Arafat to a critique of the Left's assumption
that Kerry was the lesser of two evils. If you want to read a serious
radical Left journal that pulls no punches in critiquing the capitalist
establishment and does not sink into formulaic ideologies, this is the
journal for you."*

/-Elaine Hagopian, Professor Emerita of Sociology, Simmons College,
author of Civil Rights in Peril: The Targeting of Arabs and Muslims/

*"Left Hook represents a very exciting development for everyone
struggling to understand our world and to create a better one. The fact
that it has been up and running for a year is testament not just to the
quality of the essays and interviews it publishes but also to the fact
that there are many thousands of committed young radicals in the United
States and around the world. A very hopeful sign indeed. I urge you to
support Left Hook in whatever ways you can."*

/-Michael D. Yates, Associate Editor of Monthly Review magazine and
author of Naming the System: Work in the Global Economy/

*"Left Hook is a new voice of dissent, radicalism and social
transformation, and a vital one. Left Hook speaks for and with the new
generation of activists, and needs to be heard by all. Send them money!"*

/-Paul Buhle, professor at Brown University, author of Encyclopedia of
the American Left /