who will play the decisive role in Iraq? Re: [Marxism] George W. Bush as a new King George

g.maclennan at qut.edu.au g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Thu Nov 3 17:56:08 MST 2005

This "historian" manages to obliterate the decisive factor in
the Revolutionary War--the French intervention.  Who in Iraq
is supposed to play the role of de LaFayette? Of de Grasse?
of Louis XVI? And don't talk about that fictional construct,
Zarqawi.

Shane Mage

Hi Shane

Good question.  First you assume here that there has to be an
outside intervention for the Iraq resistance to succeed.

I am inclined to agree and also think that if there is to be
a decisive intervention from outside Iraq then it will have
to come from the Arab street in countries such as Egypt and
Syria. If the pro-American Arab regimes are seriously
threatened from below then that will herald the defeat of the
Invasion.

Iran could also possibly play a very decisive role if it is
truly convinced that it is about to be attacked. But my early
belief in Seymour Hersch's prediction of a bombing campaign
is beginning to fade.  Certainly the Iranians are acting as
if they are safe - hence the provocative remarks about the
elimination of Israel. That was never intended as more than
rhetoric but if the Iranian ruling elites were convinced that
there was going to be an attack on Iran then there would be a
clamp down on even verbal provocations.

The other source of possible outside intervention is the
American public.  I know Nick discounts this completely, but
the pro-war lobby in the states is crumbling.  Moreover every
single test of public opinion shows that opposition to the
war and to Bush is growing rapidly. Should that opposition
take an activist or even a militant turn, then surely we
would have the decisive intervention.

In any case the war is set to continue and every time that
Bush has tried to pull a rabbit out of the, he has been left
grasping nothing. the current situation can last maybe
another year, then there will be serious moves by the
American people and sections of the ruling class to force a
withdrawal.

regards

Gary