[Marxism] Spiked online update

Paddy Apling e.c.apling at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 7 07:01:27 MST 2005

At 14:37 06/11/2005, Louis Proyect wrote:
>Paddy wrote:
>
>>There are the results of chemical control of disease - and it only
>>natural that concomitantly death-rates from cancer (and heart
>>problems) have increase - we all have to die and cause of death is
>>always ascribed to something.
>
>Certain chemicals cause cancer. Period. 150 years ago For example,
>150 years ago Briitish scientists observed that chimney-sweeps would
>get cancer of the scrotum in numbers all out of proportion to the
>population. The same connections were made with people working on
>watches with radium dials. Occupational hazards such as these are
>non-controversial.

Certainly, certain occupational hazards are well known, but as
Paracelcus  made clear nearly 500 years ago:
"it is the dose that makes the poison" - and there are a vast number
of situations where there are specific occupational hazards.  [Some
of those involving cancers seem to be related to physical (particle
shape and size, etc.) rather than simply chemical effects]

In the case of radioactivity it should, after Paracelcus, be no
surprise that while radioactiivity in large doses can precipitate
many types of cancerous growths or leukemia, it is also, used under
strict and accurate dosing, an extremely effective method of
controlling or eliminating cancerous growths - simply because
cancerous cells, undergoing replication more frequently than normal
cells, are  more susceptible to the effects of radioactivity than
normal cells - and so can kill the cancer without killing the patient....

Paracelcus is still not understood - which is why, for instance, the
lead toy soldiers I used to play with as a boy are now regarded as a
hazard which must be banned - despite the fact that metallic lead is
completely inert - and indeed lead is not just insoluble in
hydrochloric acid (the main acidity in the human stomach) but even
soluble lead salts are precipitated as insoluble lead chloride.  So
lead poisoning is not all that easy to achieve (lead acetate - i.e.
an organic salt - is best for this !!) - and I remember a London
publican who, after a long period of always drinking the first
runnings each day from each beer pump (which had lain in contact with
the lead piping overnight), suffered mild lead poisoning (but I take
that as just another occupational hazard !!!  ).

---- hence my quote from H L Mencken about hobgoblins - of which
there are so many in the environmental field.
(I do believe I am, probably, the only agricultural scientist on this
list, and consequently with first-hand experience of these things).

<snip>

>Paddy has been making arguments along these lines for as long as he
>has been on the Marxism list going back to 1998. Since he has
>obviously arrived at these ideas on his own and on a purely
>intellectual basis, I don't get too worked up over that. On the
>other hand, the people at Spiked-online are a bunch of dirty whores.

Yes, and I will keep making them when I see some over-the-top comment !!!

And I still object to the last sentence in your reply. I don't often
bother to look at spiked-online - but I do think it is wrong to treat
them as enemies.  I feel sure they regard themselves as "radicals" -
from our point of view often misguided - but I think their output
should be criticised on particular details, not by total condemnation
or name-calling.  Similar things could sometimes be said about
media.lens, and I sometimes find things to criticise on counterpunch
also, but I would not  use words of general condemnation on any of
these journalists who are certainly outside the "mainstream".   None
of them are really speaking to marxists - but all are, in their way,
trying to open eyes among the general public.

Comradely greetings,
Paddy
http://apling.freeservers.com