[Marxism] Class as a process and the appearence of workers

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Wed Nov 9 08:22:46 MST 2005

Enviado por:marxism-request at lists.econ.utah.edu
Con fecha:8 Nov 2005, a las 12:00

> Weberian sociology has triumphed even among many, perhaps most,
> marxists. You are treating class here as a series of tin cans into
> which one plunks various marbles depending on their description
> (color, pattern, size, mass, etc.). But class is not a category of
> people; class is a relation and process.
>
> Class designatin tells you nothing whatever about the people so
> described; rather it tells you about their situation in the whole
> dynamic of the society.
>
> Translate this into static terms and about 85% of the u.s. population
> (perhaps even over 90%) are working class. What follows from this:
> nothing except that you ought to stop trying to image what a worker
> 'looks like.' No image will cover the vast complexity of the presently
> quite amorphous u.s. working class.
>
> It is practice that determines which sectors of that huge working
> class are or can be politically active under given conditions.

But if translated into dynamic, that is, concrete historic, terms,
then classes assume a common "look" at the moments of maximum strife,
when the lines are clearly set and a revolution (or counter-
revolution) may be imminent or probable.  Thus: if you want to know
the "real" face of the working class in the USA or elsewhere, work
for a revolution (or for a counter-revolution).

I certainly agree in the anti-Weberian stance of Carrol Cox.

Este correo lo ha enviado
Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
[No necesariamente es su autor]