[Marxism] A sectarian approach

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Nov 9 22:03:13 MST 2005

Jorge:
>Someone has
>compared this to the period of "small circles" in the development of Russian
>Marxism.

Well, I'd have to hear more about this. Lenin's goal was to unify Marxists
through Iskra where discussion and debate could take place *openly*, sort
of like on this mailing list. This concept is inimical to those who operate
in the Fourth International tradition and all other "Marxist-Leninist"
traditions for that matter.

>Finally, since a big deal has been made of Trotsky´s picture (!!) in the
>front page of a "paper" let's at least get the facts right.

Frankly, I think that the In Defense of Marxism website is probably the
main inspiration for the Trotsky iconography, not an offhand remark by
Chavez. For that matter, what an odd name for a political current. As we
all know, this book by Trotsky (I assume that this is not just a
coincidence) incorporates the famous "scratch to gangrene" business which
in one form or another has been used as a rallying cry in faction fights
dividing Trotskyist groups of 300 into multiple groups of 150 like amoebas
that have drunk too much cheap wine.