[Marxism] NYTimes: Democrats Provided Edge on Detainee Vote

David McDonald dbmcdonald at comcast.net
Sat Nov 12 12:13:17 MST 2005

Ever thus. Always just enough 'defections' (tsk tsk!) to make sure the
important stuff doesn't change. But then, if only we would work harder to
make the Democratic Party be more like us everything would be OK. 2006 will
be the most important election of your life, followed by the even more
important 2008. Only a traitor, scoundrel, racist or Trotskyite would even
consider not voting Democratic.

Me, I'm taking the Cindy Sheehan pledge. No votes for pro-war Democrats. You
want my vote, be for Out Now.

David McDonald

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/12/national/nationalspecial3/12detain.html

Democrats Provided Edge on Detainee Vote

By ERIC SCHMITT
Published: November 12, 2005

WASHINGTON, Nov. 11 - Democrats who had voted previously to prohibit abusive
treatment of detainees in American custody provided the margin of victory on
Thursday for a Republican-backed measure that would deny prisoners at
Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, the right to challenge their detention in federal
courts.
Skip to next paragraph Threats and Responses
Go to Complete Coverage

Four of the five Democrats who supported the provision to strip detainees at
Guantánamo of the legal tool the Supreme Court gave them to appeal their
incarcerations said on Friday that they drew the line at allowing the
prisoners unfettered access to United States courts to challenge the
underlying rationale for their detention. The Senate approved the measure,
an amendment to a military budget bill, 49 to 42.

/clip/