[Marxism] Yes, forming a Trotskyist group is sectarian-on the first international

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Sat Nov 12 14:23:39 MST 2005

In the First International, Marx's concern was not so much the anarchist
current per se, but its association and identification with the old
nationalist radicalism of Guieseppe Mazzini and the other advocates of
revolution-by-conspiracy, who had been knocking about Europe in exile
communities for decades.  I've always thought that this association left
anarchism in a particularly horrid muddle in which it was destined to be
misunderstood.  Still, it was their choice at the time, right?

Even given all that, the weakest thing about Marx was his organizational
grasp and the history of his role in the destruction of the IWA
reflected that.  I would argue that we are still striving in the US to
overcome the consequences of his actions here.

Solidarity!
Mark L.