[Marxism] "Leftism" in Venezuela

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Sun Nov 13 08:24:37 MST 2005

Enviado por:marxism-request at lists.econ.utah.edu
Con fecha:12 Nov 2005, a las 19:43

> Which brings me to what I actually meant to write about, which is
> Josh's very acute observation that the most conscious and militant
> layers of workers are to the *left* of Chavez. This is very good news
> indeed, and very important for the health of the revolutionary process
> and its future.

I am a member of the staff of Question Latinoamérica, the Arg edition
of the Venezuelan magazine Question.  Our premises are boxed into two
rooms within the Bauen Hotel of Buenos Aires.  The Bauen is a
"recovered plant", a hotel run by its workers.  Most Venezuelan
delegations (but -security reasons- for Chávez himself) come to the
Bauen, so that I have had more than a single opportunity to talk with
Venezuelans of every creed within Chavism.

I must say that IMHO the divide between "left" and "right" in Latin
America does not run along the struggle "for" or "against"
bourgeoisie in abstract.  The concrete divide, and this is
particularly clear in the "Atlantic front" of South America today, is
between "union" and "balkanization".

In this respect, it is not very soothing to discover that most
"leftists" in Venezuela, including "leftist" workers of recovered
plants, are far behind Chávez and the Venezuelan military.  These
people are having a very hard task in turning the minds and eyes of
the Venezuelans to the South.  Abstract "classism" that often passes
for "leftism" in metropolitan countries (and which, in those
countries, certainly _is_ a hallmark of class independence) is,
unfortunately, providing a false "alternative" to the main task of
the Venezuelan Revolution today, which is to force South America into
coallescence _and_ provide a bridge for Cuba into a new Latin
American system.

This is not a typical "Marxist" task.  But it is the precondition for
any other struggle in the deepest sense of Permanent Revolution.  On
this issue, the youngish Venezuelan working class has a lot to learn.
 And, mind you, "leftism" will not teach this.

As I said on another posting, the most important Leftist in Venezuela
today is Simón Bolívar.

Este correo lo ha enviado
Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar