[Marxism] Harold L. Ickes

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Nov 13 17:52:38 MST 2005

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 15:29:59 -0800 (PST) James Zarichny
<zarichny at yahoo.com> writes:
> The other day Lou mentioned Roosevelt's Secretary of
> the Interior, Harold L. Ickes.  I want to quote from
> his Madison Square Garden speech of November, 1943.
>

>    I am quoting the above to show people how far to
> the right the political discourse has shifted.  People
> no longer even remember the discourse of the New
> Dealers.
>        Jim

Well Paul Sweezy and Harry Magdoff both spent
time working in New Deal agencies back in
the 1930s and 1940s.  Many of the younger
New Dealers were certainly well to the left.
In fact, I think a case can be made that people
like Sweezy and Magdoff were representative
of the extreme left-wing of the New Dealers.

Jim F.