[Marxism] "They asked where are the weapons of mass destruction . . ."

Brian Shannon Brian_Shannon at verizon.net
Tue Nov 15 21:56:45 MST 2005

The classic expression “hoist by one’s own petard” is seldom used
today. It may even be considered hackneyed. Shakespeare gives the
following line to Hamlet: "For tis the sport to have the enginer Hoist
with his owne petar". In this well-known incident from the play, Hamlet
plans to substitute Rosencrantz and Guildenstern’s names for his own in
the death warrant that they carry from King Claudius.

In the play, Hamlet becomes an agent for “hoisting the petard.”
However, he alludes to its inner meaning which is that without anyone
else’s intervention, the trickster is caught in his own trick. When the
final chapters of the Iraq war are written it may be that the search
for the Weapons of Mass Destruction may have been one of the most
important fuels for igniting the Iraq resistance. If so, it is even
more ironic that a “petard” was an explosive devise of the late middle
ages used to blow open doors and gates. Not exactly a WMD, but close
enough.

There were many arguments given for invading Iraq. However, the one
that had the greatest weight was that Iraq had not destroyed its WMDs,
which the western countries knew it once had because they had been
complicit in supplying them. Passing over the fact that all WMDs had
been destroyed after the defeat of Iraq in the first Gulf War, and that
false evidence was created to “prove” that Iraq had them and was even
planning or developing nuclear weapons, it remained the main
justification for war.

So when that is the main rationale for invasion, what do you have to do
after you win?

The answer of course is to look for those weapons of mass destruction.
You can’t just stop and say to your soldiers: “Guys we were only
kidding; there are no WMDs and there never were; that was just our
excuse for taking over this country for its oil and its strategic
importance.”

You can't do that; you have to be consistent. So, in addition to
looking for Hussein and his fellows in the Deck of Cards, the soldiers
have to go on search and destroy and torture missions to get those
WMDs. Not only was that their main mission as declared to the world, it
was also the main mission given to the soldiers and explained to their
parents and other loved ones. Just as important, it is also a mission
that will save their own lives. Since the WMDs exist, unless they are
taken out, they most likely will be used against the coalition forces
themselves!

The following extract gives an example of how this mission worked in
practice. However, since there is a sensationalist aspect to it,
involving, of all things, lions being used in psychological torture, I
follow it with several extracts taken from a report of the Christian
Peacemaker Teams that went to Iraq in 2003 and 2004. There are many
more stories related than the ones selected. However, these seem to
focus on the search for WMDs and allies of Hussein. I am sure that if
we had the organization and time to search other stories and
dispatches, we could piece together a good case for the dramatic speed
of development and relatively quick success of the Iraq resistance
having been created in large part by U.S. imperialism’s own petard*—the
search for the weapons of mass destruction.

Brian Shannon
_______________
* Petard comes from the French, meaning to pass gas or fart. A nice
touch.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2005-11-15-
detaineeslionsclaim_x.htm

They both described standing in front of a lion cage, and said they
could hear other prisoners screaming as the metal cage door creaked
open and slammed shut.

“They threatened that if I did not confess they would put me in the
cage,” said Khalid, adding that the soldiers kept asking him where
Saddam was. “I laughed, I thought they were kidding me. They asked
where are the weapons of mass destruction. I was very surprised and I
thought it was weird.”

But when he laughed, he said, he was only beaten more. And he said they
pushed him into the cage three times, pulling him out as the lions
moved toward him.

ACLU lead counsel Lucas Guttentag said the lion cage was not mentioned
in the initial legal filing because lawyers considered that part of the
charges of mock executions, which would later be detailed. He said
media reports in summer 2003 documented that American soldiers had
access to the lions.

http://www.ameu.org/page.asp?iid=257&aid=413&pg=1

“It started with a polite interview,” he said, “and then the
interrogation became more harsh and threatening. We were guilty until
proven innocent.” They demanded that he tell them where weapons of mass
destruction (WMD) are. When he told them he didn’t know about any,
interrogators insisted he was lying. “They asked me over and over,
telling me I was lying. That was the hardest part. When they asked why
I wasn’t telling the truth, I answered, ‘Are you interested in the
truth, or just in what you want to hear?’

“We explained in detail how our systems work. The judgment of all in
the group of scientists I know, is that WMD do not exist here or
elsewhere in the country. The interrogators referred to a ‘reliable
source’ claiming the existence of a secret underground laboratory. We
were honest. We knew of no such place. I finally said, ‘Then bring that
person here and let him find it for you!’”
. . .

The soldiers pointed guns at the whole family, including the children,
and kept them under guard in the kitchen. Four soldiers kept their
weapons trained on one of the women as they forced her to show them
every possible hiding place in their house. When they entered Masseh’s
room, a soldier shot into the pillow beside his face to wake him. They
tied each man’s hands behind his back, put a sack over his head and
forced him to kneel. A child who was present through all of this now
shakes and has nightmares. He thinks the helicopters took away his
father.

“The soldiers said they were searching for weapons, but didn’t find any
so took my sons instead,” says Zakia. The soldiers also took about
300,000 Iraqi dinars ($150), and the family’s supply of sugar and rice.
Christian Peacemaker Teams (CPT) observed that there were few
furnishings in the home. A television speaker was shot through. “We
have nothing, we are poor, simple people,” Zakia told the soldiers.

Ma’ad, Masseh, and Omar are being held in Bucca prison. Their family
has gone to the U.S. military authorities and to the International
Committee of the Red Cross but no further information about their
status is available. When Zakia visited CPT in January 2004, they still
had not been able to visit the men in prison.
. . .

“This whole experience is so unreal, it’s like science fiction,” an
Iraqi science professor told us when recounting to us his three-month
ordeal being interrogated in more than a dozen meetings with the U.S.
“Scientific Assessment Team.” Many other scientists he knew had similar
experiences. One professor he knew was taken away and detained for two
weeks. Another was still in detention. “I wish there was something I
could do to close this file,” he lamented.

[...]

The Case of Dr. Talib and His Sons

In late August, we visited the home of Dr. Talib, a retired physician
and his wife, Nawal, a practicing dentist. They told us their story.

Just after midnight, August 1, 2003, they woke to the sounds of
shooting and the crashing in of the outside door. Their first thought
was that it was thieves, so the oldest son shot their gun into the air
to scare them away. The response was heavy firing on their house from
every direction. They then realized it was American soldiers. For the
next two and a half hours Dr. Talib went toward the door and called out
in good English, “Come in. We are not violent!” and every time he did
this, the shooting would start up again. The family members were afraid
they would all be killed.

Finally about 3:00 a.m., the father crawled near the door and called
out. “I am coming to open the door. One soldier answered nervously,
“Open the door!” When he did, the soldiers rushed in and started
hitting and kicking him and his three adult sons, knocking them to the
floor, now covered with kerosene from a punctured tank. They handcuffed
them behind their backs, stepped on their heads, and continued kicking
them. Meanwhile other soldiers ransacked the house, destroying
household furnishings. The only weapons soldiers found were a legally
permitted small pistol and automatic rifle.

One of the soldiers asked the father if his name was Akif. He replied,
“No, my name is Talib. Akif’s house is farther down on this street.”
The soldiers realized they had made a mistake and had come to the wrong
house. The captain apologized. Then they got into an incredible
conversation. Dr. Talib asked the soldiers, “Why didn’t you just ring
the doorbell. We would have let you in.” The captain replied, “We were
scared.” The captain asked Dr. Talib, “Do you like America?” “I did
until this happened,” Dr. Talib said. “I thought you were from a
country of freedom and democracy. Is this freedom? Is this democracy?”
The captain replied, “You don’t know how many of our people are being
killed each day.”

When they were ready to leave, the captain said he would have to take
the three sons. All of Dr. Talib’s pleading did not stop the soldiers
and they took them away. We were there one month later and the family
still didn’t know where the sons were. We saw the physical damage done
to the house, but we saw a deeper damage in their faces. Evident in
their eyes was the strain of fear, pain and worry the family was
carrying for their sons.
. . .

We were horrified by this story, and the team continued to document
other such cases. Here are some of them:

Imad Abdul Raheen; Kamel Hassen Khoumais [1]

On December 16, 2003, U.S. forces surrounded the farming village of Abu
Siffa at 2:00 a.m. and, in the course of a 14-hour operation, detained
80 men and three teenage boys (ages 14, 15 and 16). Abu Siffa is
located on the outskirts of Balad, a city of 90,000 people about 50
miles north of Baghdad.

According to Mohammed Jasim Hassan Altaai, “The Coalition Forces were
looking for one person but they searched all our houses. It was a rainy
night and they surrounded our whole village (about 25 homes) with tanks
and Humvees. They surrounded the farmers’ fields with tanks and
destroyed the fences. They destroyed the doors of our houses and kicked
down our bedroom doors, or used their weapons to open them, while we
were sleeping. They didn’t allow anyone to remain in the houses while
they searched. They stole 14 million dinars from Imad’s house and more
than 4 million from Kamel’s house (in all the equivalent of about
$17,000). They gathered the men together and beat them severely. A
70-year-old man suffocated and died when they put a black plastic hood
on him.”

The object of the raid was to capture Kais Hattam, a prominent Baath
Party official. According to the military commander who conducted the
raid, Colonel Nate Sassaman, Saddam Hussein was captured with documents
directly linking him to Kais Hattam. Sassaman said they found weapons,
confiscated $1.9 million dollars in cash, and detained 72 men in the
raid.

On December 31, 2003, U.S. forces returned to Abu Siffa and shelled the
home of Abas Muhamed Abd Wahid, a 41-year-old primary school teacher
currently in detention. The front of the simple brick building, which
once housed 16 people, was completely destroyed. The interior of the
house was full of rubble and its contents removed.

Three days later, on January 2, the U.S. military attacked a second
house belonging to four brothers: Hamis (35), Abd Kadir (28), Jasim
(30) and Mohammed (16). Their father, Tarik, is deceased. All of the
brothers are detained. The main entrance and two of the house’s support
pillars were destroyed by tank fire. Soldiers punched holes through
interior walls and riddled the ceilings in every room with scores of
bullets leaving the six-room house uninhabitable.

When asked if there was any reason why these particular houses were
destroyed, Altaai said, “No. They just choose every sixth house, ones
that are hidden away so no one will see.”

“They have detained all of the men in our village,” said Altaai. “Jamal
and I are the only two men still living in the area. They took about
fifteen teachers from the secondary school, so now there aren’t enough
teachers to give lessons.” Police officers, farmers and students are
also being held.
. . .

The family believed Dr. Ali was arrested because another American
weapons inspection team had returned to Iraq for another search for
WMD. U.S. forces had arrested at least six other scientists in this
latest search, despite the fact that the head of the previous
inspections team recently returned to the U.S. declaring that there had
never been any such weapons, that they were destroyed in the early to
middle 90’s.

On March 4 we got a call saying that after 38 days, Dr. Ali was free. A
week later he told us his story.

 From the GIC he was taken to the Green Zone where soldiers put him in a
three-meter by three-meter wire cage that he likened to an animal cage.
It was out of doors, unprotected from the weather, and was next to
15-20 other cages that held prisoners. “I was treated like a dangerous
person,” he said. He was only there until dark when U.S. military
police in two Humvees transported him to Cropper Camp at the Baghdad
Airport.

Dr. Ali assumed that the camp he was taken to was under the auspices of
U.S. military intelligence. Upon entry, guards took his picture, did an
eye print, took fingerprints, and, with their computer, printed out a
wristband that gave him a prisoner of war number.

While he was there he tried to find ways to resist being dehumanized by
his experience. Guards put him in a small cell about the same size as
his earlier cage. “As a biologist I prefer not to call my humiliating
confinement a ‘cell,’ one of the essential building blocks of all of
life which God had called ‘good.’ And I made friends of the guards. I
refused to call them my enemy.”

For five days he stayed in solitary confinement before he was able to
question guards about the reason for his arrest. Ten days later guards
gave him a pencil and paper to write the anonymous person in charge to
ask that same question. “Two men came the next day and told me, ‘We
didn’t know you were here. Sorry, you shouldn’t be here.’ I replied,
‘So, let me go home.’ They answered, ‘This bureaucratic system won’t
easily get you released.’ ‘Will I be here for days or weeks?’ I asked.
They said, ‘We don’t know.’”

Some time later, after he gave up hope for an early release, guards
took him to another location where three people questioned him for two
hours. One he knew as Brenda, one of the interrogators from last
summer. They admitted that some of the questions were the same. After
they asked questions, he wrote the answers, and they sent the report to
Washington, D.C. Dr. Ali commented after his release, “They are looking
for ‘true lies,’ which don’t exist.” This was the only time during his
confinement that he was questioned.

Some days later, guards came to his room and said he could go home.
After 38 days in detention he arrived on his doorstep and greeted his
surprised and delighted wife, son, and daughter. At the university,
colleagues and students sacrificed three sheep to recognize his return,
a ritual reminiscent of Abraham’s sacrifice and often done after a
person goes through a grueling event.
. . .

Two brothers from the city of Samara came to our apartment to tell us
the story of the death of their father while he was being detained. The
following is a shortened version of the story according to Abdulkahar:

“On December 21, 2003 at 9:30 p.m., U.S. soldiers surrounded our house
and crashed in the front gate with a tank. When we opened the house
door to see what was happening, about 15 soldiers rushed inside, broke
open cupboards and cabinets and ransacked the house. The brothers saw
soldiers dividing up family money they took during the search. Soldiers
pushed around our 70-year-old father, Mehide Al Jamal, who had recently
had a hip replacement operation and had difficulty walking. Our father
was a former surveyor and planner for the rural areas around Samara,
and was well respected in the community.

“Soldiers handcuffed four of us, our father, my brother, and my uncle.
They put plastic bags over our heads and took us away in an armored
military vehicle.

“My father started gasping for breath and called out ‘Help me! I can’t
breathe!’ The soldiers responded with ‘Shut up! Shut up! F___ you!’
When I pleaded for the soldiers to loosen or take the bag off my
father’s head, soldiers cursed me and hit me in the chest with a rifle
butt. I heard one soldier say, ‘The f___ing old man may be dead.’

“My brother, uncle, and I were then transferred to another vehicle and
taken home and released. There we found the body of our dead father. A
soldier told us that our father had died of heart failure, but I
responded angrily, ‘No, you killed my father. You soldiers treat us
like animals!’

“After the funeral service, we filed a claim against the U.S. Military
and a man in our community who we believed accused our father falsely.
Many in the community hated him because he had been an informant for
the former regime. Now he was doing it for the U.S. Col. Nate Sassaman,
commander of the unit involved, told us he would bring the informant to
us, but we said, ‘No, we don’t want revenge. We want justice.’ Sassaman
then said he would investigate the informer, but later told us that he
was innocent.”
___________
[1] The October 23, 2005, NYTimes had a long article by Dexter Filkins
on Colonel Nate Sassaman, titled “The Fall of the Warrior King”
essentially portraying this scholar/athlete as a tragic figure,
destroyed by the difficulty of the war and his own hubris. It is clear
that Filkins idolized him. He may even have insisted that the article
run, for all of the events covered in the article are more than a year
old.
      Filkins’s telling left out this story of Abu Siffa, where all the
men but two were abducted from the village and sent to Abu Ghraib
prison. I have gathered many articles on Sassaman and will forward them
to anyone who requests them.