[Marxism] Woodward revelation hurts himself, Libby, and Bush administration

Brian Shannon Brian_Shannon at verizon.net
Thu Nov 17 03:24:32 MST 2005

I have seen commentary that claims that Bob Woodward's confession that
he heard about Joseph Wilson's wife being in the CIA from someone
besides Libby harms the case against the latter. Quite obviously, the
opposite is true. It shows that Libby was part of a full-barreled
assault on Wilson by the Bush minions as a whole. Libby talked to his
people, while others talked to theirs. It may even turn out that
Woodward's source was Carl Rove. In any case, evidence of  "another
senior" official passing this on cannot help Bush.

What the article below points out is that Woodward may be the
Washington Post's Judith Miller, which many had thought before.
Woodward's confession may be a pre-emptive strike against someone who
could out him.

Of the article's author, a CNN web site says: "Kurtz is the media
reporter for The Washington Post and writes a regular column called
Media Notes. He joined the paper in 1981, after the demise of The
Washington Star, and has covered urban affairs, the Justice Department
and Capitol Hill. He has also served as The Washington Post's New York
bureau chief. He has covered the media since 1990."

Brian Shannon
___________________

Woodward apologizes for silence on CIA agent

By Howard Kurtz, Washington Post  |  November 17, 2005

WASHINGTON -- Bob Woodward apologized to The Washington Post yesterday
for failing to reveal for more than two years that a senior Bush
administration official had told him about CIA operative Valerie Plame
Wilson, even as an investigation of who disclosed her identity
mushroomed into a national scandal

Woodward, an assistant managing editor and best-selling author, said he
told executive editor Leonard Downie Jr. that he held back the
information because he was worried about being subpoenaed by Patrick J.
Fitzgerald, the special counsel leading the investigation.

''I apologized because I should have told him about this much sooner,"
Woodward, who testified in the CIA leak investigation Monday, said in
an interview. ''I explained in detail that I was trying to protect my
sources. That's job number one in a case like this. . . .

''I hunkered down. I'm in the habit of keeping secrets. I didn't want
anything out there that was going to get me subpoenaed."

Downie, who was informed by Woodward late last month, said his most
famous employee had ''made a mistake." Despite Woodward's concerns
about his confidential sources, Downie said, ''he still should have
come forward, which he now admits. We should have had that
conversation. . . . I'm concerned that people will get a misimpression
about Bob's value to the newspaper and our readers."

The belated revelation that Woodward has been sitting on information
about the Wilson controversy reignited questions about his unique
relationship with The Post while he writes books with unparalleled
access to high-level officials, and about why Woodward denigrated the
Fitzgerald probe in television and radio interviews while not divulging
his own involvement in the matter.

''It just looks really bad," said Eric Boehlert, a Rolling Stone
contributing editor. ''It looks like what people have been saying about
Bob Woodward for the past five years, that he's become a stenographer
for the Bush White House."

http://makeashorterlink.com/?U28C36C2C