[Marxism] Why we are still turning to Dylan for the soundtrack to out demonstrations?

Jeffrey Thomas Piercy, El Pato Comunista mqduck at sonic.net
Thu Nov 17 05:34:29 MST 2005

Michael Hoover wrote:

Vaclav Havel, for instance, was perhaps more deeply affected by the
Velvet Underground, Frank Zappa and the Rolling Stones, than he was by
more overtly political expressions from the west. Lou Reed was one the
first people to visit Havel, after he was elected president of
Czechoslovakia. They appeared on stage together in a somewhat awkward
colloquium about politics and music. Havel could talk eloquently about
the subject for hours. But intellectual reflection is not the strong
suit of most rock'n'rollers. Reed muttered something about "becoming
like Kafka" if he had lived under communism. Kafka never did, of course,
but one sort of knows what Reed means.

-------

As a gigantic Lou Reed and Velvet Underground fan, I'm somewhat saddened
to read this. Whenever I heard the phrase "Velvet Revolution" it always
made me think "Velvet Underground," but I figured this was just me. Can
anyone give me more information on this?

--
be-
bop