[Marxism] Dana Milbank

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Nov 18 11:46:40 MST 2005

This Washington Post reporter is a refreshingly candid presence on TV talk
shows, even more so on the newspaper's blog at
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2005/11/11/DI2005111101072_pf.html

Dana Milbank: I have the unfortunate luck this morning of following John
Harris's chat yesterday. Harris, our political editor, retired the trophy
for all political web chats by observing that our very senior colleague Bob
Woodward will be eating a "turd sandwich." This strikes me as an excellent
metaphor for covering politics, and I would like to other turd sandwiches
to be consumed.

For example, Democratic leaders get a turd sandwich this week for failing
to come up with a position on Iraq. Roy Blunt gets a turd sandwich for
failing to pass the HHS spending bill yesterday (although he only has to
eat half the sandwich because he has passed the budget bill). And the judge
who is holding my colleague Walter Pincus in contempt for not revealing a
source in a civil suit deserves two turd sandwiches and a side of fries.

---

Daytona Beach, Fla.: Len Downie just said that Washington Post reporters
appearing on television shouldn't offer personal opinions as Bob Woodward
did on Larry King. He also said it's OK for columnists.

You are both a reporter and a columnist. How does the rule apply to you?

Dana Milbank: It means I am allowed to give half-baked opinions on television.

---

Philadelphia, Pa.: How much input does Woodward have on the stories you
cover, and how you cover them. For instance, did Woodward have anything to
do with the recent smear that you and Pincus did of Joe Wilson?

Dana Milbank: Walter and I did the Wilson smear all by ourselves.

--

www.marxmail.org