[Marxism] In defence of Jack Barnes

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Nov 19 16:54:08 MST 2005

Eli wrote:
>Louis wrote:
>
>"Actually, at this stage of history, I think that an Internet mailing list
>is far more important."
>
>Really, Louis? And which demonstrations of 10, 20, 50, 100,000 have been
>organized by an "Internet mailing list" (nevertheless Marxmail)?

The purpose of this mailing list is to resolve a crisis in the
revolutionary movement. No matter how many people the Marcyites put out on
the streets, they will never be able to resolve that crisis since they
don't recognize its existence. The fact that they can split without
accounting for that politically is symptomatic of the problem.

>I forget what you're claiming for Marxmail, but my blog has been getting
>just under 1000 readers a day (and probably something like 2500/week since
>not everyone visits every day) recently. Do I think I have the political
>impact of a political party with even 100 members? The answer is no. Not
>even close.

I wasn't aware that your blog was addressing the crisis of the
revolutionary movement. It seems to be more like a left version of Atrios
or Kos, not that there is anything wrong with that. Keep up the good work.