[Marxism] re: jack barnes

Amaral1871 at aol.com Amaral1871 at aol.com
Sun Nov 20 08:40:40 MST 2005

 I don't mean to denigrate the  very useful, supplementary role Marxmail does
play. My main concern was how Louis exaggerations of the role of the list  -
articulated not just as focused on regroupment but on a grander working out of
the party/class dynamic - serves to reinforce a tendency towards pessimism
and inactivity. The biggest obstacle we face - at least among younger people -
is a pessimism about the importance  of organisation, and a related
misunderstanding of how ideas change (or don't) through struggle. If we all gave up our
paper sales and our movement work - our real world engagements with the class,
to follow more closely the arguments in Marxmail (and other lists) or to
sharpen our rhetorical/polemical skills, it would be a very real loss. More
importantly, I think this real world engagement is, at the least, as important in
working ourselves out of the historical mis-steps of the revolutionary left as
discussions on Marxmail (or elsewhere).