[Marxism] Marxism] China-Brazil hydroelectric project generates protests

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Nov 20 16:18:45 MST 2005

Fred Feldman wrote:
>These Indians have a real shot of cutting a fairly good deal
>under the circumstances, as the article hints. I support their efforts
>to get one, which are getting underway.

This is really contrary to the spirit of indigenous struggles such as the
kind that Macdonald Stainsby has been writing about. For that matter,
official indigenous leaders tend to accept such "deals" under duress of the
kind that led to the vast ceding of land that typically took place in
Blackfoot country in the 1870s, etc.