[Marxism] Hasidic rebels

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Nov 21 07:59:56 MST 2005

http://chronicle.com/weekly/v52/i14/14b01201.htm

 From the issue dated November 25, 2005
The Hidden Rebels

By HELLA WINSTON

When I first decided to conduct my dissertation research on Hasidic women,
I was hoping to learn something about how their spiritual lives fared in
the face of everyday demands of running a home and raising children. I
knew, however, that gaining access to these women would be a challenge.
With the exception of Lubavitch, unique in the Hasidic world for its
outreach to secular and unaffiliated Jews, Hasidic sects are extremely
insular, their members raised to avoid all unnecessary contact with what is
considered to be the corrupt, and corrupting, "secular" society. Without
any personal ties to the Hasidic world, and only a basic familiarity with
Yiddish, I worried that I would never find a way to meet Hasidic women, let
alone really get to know any. Indeed, many people advised me that my best
hope was to go to Crown Heights in Brooklyn. There, Lubavitch women would
welcome the opportunity to expose me, a nonobservant Jew, to the beauty of
"true" Judaism and the Hasidic way of life.

But I didn't want to go to Crown Heights. For one thing, a good many
scholars and journalists have already produced rich accounts of various
aspects of Lubavitch life, including the experiences of girls and women.
While there was probably room for one more, at least, the truth was that I
didn't relish having to navigate the role of potential recruit, which I
knew would be an inevitable consequence of any involvement with the
Lubavitchers. Further, because their self-imposed segregation from
mainstream society was what intrigued me about the Hasidim to begin with,
intellectually I was much more interested in those sects that want as
little as possible to do with the world beyond their borders, including
other Jews. So I had a problem: What made the Hasidim so compelling to me
as a researcher was precisely what I feared would put them beyond my reach.
But I vowed not to give up too easily.

After many months I was finally able to make contact with a woman named
Suri, a member of the highly insular, anti-Zionist Satmar sect. We had been
put in touch by a doctor friend of mine, who had successfully treated her
husband for a serious illness. It was my impression at the time that Suri
had agreed to speak with me mainly out of a feeling of gratitude to the
doctor for restoring her husband's health. The first time we talked, on the
phone, I was impressed by Suri's warmth and openness, her sophistication
and sense of humor. This was not what I had expected. Perhaps the Satmar
reputation for insularity was exaggerated. Or maybe Suri was atypical —
after all, she had agreed to speak with me. Whatever the case, when she
invited me to her home for a dinner with a group of her friends, I felt as
if I had struck gold.

The dinner went very well. I found that discussing my mother's experience
as a hidden child in Hungary during the Holocaust provided some much-needed
common conversational ground; many of these women had relatives who were
Hungarian Holocaust survivors as well. But it also felt a little creepy to
be trading on our shared history of tragedy in order to facilitate the
proceedings. And it was also hard to endure the women's confident
speculation that my mother's history had somehow sparked a desire in me to
"return" to Judaism, as evidenced by my presence there that night. Before
the evening was over, I considered that maybe these women were no different
from their Lubavitch counterparts after all, interested primarily in
shepherding me "back" into the fold.

But after everyone went home, something strange happened. Suri and her
daughter, Chanie (not their real names), who had arrived midway through the
evening, began to ask me what I thought of the women. Before I could figure
out how to respond, both began telling me how oppressive life in their
community could be, how critical to maintaining one's good reputation it
was to conform and to hide all evidence of forbidden contact with the
outside, "modern" world — be it a secular book, a classical CD, or a
movie-ticket stub. Both of these women made it clear that they were
religiously observant, but both also felt extremely stifled, and often
found themselves sneaking off to do things that were not approved of by
their community. Indeed, they (along with their male counterparts) weren't
allowed to read secular books or magazines, watch TV or movies, use the
Internet, visit museums, even drive a car. They were also expected to have
as many children as possible, with husbands they had met only once or twice
before marriage. Going to college (for both women and men) was also out of
the question.

While some of these prohibitions have their roots in interpretations of
Jewish law, most have to do with ensuring the Hasidim's separation from the
outside world. For the most part, these communities were founded and built
in America by European refugees from Hitler. Their rebbes, or spiritual
leaders, believed that re-creating the world that had been lost in Europe
was not only an obligation to those who had been murdered but also a
testament to the survivors' refusal to be annihilated. Because these
leaders also viewed the Holocaust as punishment from God (in one case, for
Jewish assimilation in Europe, and, in another, for the Zionists'
blasphemous usurpation of God's prerogative by trying to bring Jews back to
Israel before the coming of the Messiah), they taught that only the
strictest adherence to a religious life could avert another such horror.

Leisure pursuits like movies and television, which had long been acceptable
among American Orthodox Jews, were considered by these new Hasidim to be
dangerous distractions from the "Torah life" and were immediately banned.
Indeed, the rebbes believed that speaking English, dressing in contemporary
styles, being exposed to "secular" knowledge and media — not to mention
people — could only undermine religious commitment and group solidarity in
what was already considered a trayf, or nonkosher, country. The interesting
twist, however, was that with its religious tolerance and commitment to
pluralism, this "nonkosher" country was an ideal place to carry out the
Hasidic project. In America, these communities were allowed to start their
own schools, build their own houses of worship, and administer their own
system of justice — all with very little interference and oversight from
the government.

 From the beginning, a person's involvement in any of these prohibited
activities could result in his exclusion from religious institutions, the
denial of financial aid from community charities, and general social
ostracism. For those who had experienced the horrors of war and were now
(often poor) refugees in a foreign country, adhering to this way of life
was probably not a hardship but a comfort. However, if Suri and Chanie's
views were shared by others, it was possible that, in 60 years, something
had changed.

Indeed, my experience at Suri's home eventually led me to change my
research focus. I wanted to find out whether there were more Hasidic people
— women and men — who felt oppressed by their communities' rigid rules and
social scrutiny, and who were forced, out of fear of community censure or
worse, to pursue their individual desires in secret, while outwardly
maintaining the appearance of conformity. Were there those who did "worse"
things than Suri and Chanie, like violating religious laws? Or people who
didn't actually believe?

As far as I knew, nobody had ever addressed these questions in any depth,
at least with respect to Hasidic communities in America. To be fair,
scholars have acknowledged the existence of Hasidic people who don't seem
to "fit" into the life their communities demand of them. But such work
tends to attribute this phenomenon primarily to problems of individual
adjustment, rather than structural factors, and it often fails to consider
the subjective interpretations of Hasidic people themselves.

Over the course of two years, I came to know about 60 people whom I can
best describe as Hasidic "rule breakers" or "rebels." Locating them mostly
through word of mouth and my own detective work, I also spent a lot of time
building trust among those who agreed to speak with me. Some of the
"rebels" are generally committed to the Hasidic way of life but crave more
personal and intellectual freedom than their communities allow. Others are
motivated by serious questions or doubts about the Hasidic way of life and
sometimes even the tenets of their religion. Either way, all are engaging
in activities that violate Hasidic behavioral standards, the discovery of
which could result in possible rejection by their families and friends,
permanent stigmatization of their children, even loss of employment in the
community.

During my time in the field I met Yossi, who over the course of a year
regularly changed out of his Hasidic garb and into jeans on the subway and
headed into Manhattan to go to flea markets and watch Yiddish films at
Columbia. I also got to know Steinmetz, a closet bibliophile who works in a
small Judaica store in his community and spends his days off anxiously
evading discovery in the library of the conservative Jewish Theological
Seminary of America, poring over forbidden books about Spinoza and the
Jewish enlightenment. And then there was Breindel, a married woman with
four children who spends hours reading and blogging online, all behind her
unsuspecting husband's back.

While some of those I came to know deal fairly well with the
compartmentalization such a life requires, others suffer terribly, not
wanting to lead "double lives" but also knowing that choosing to leave the
community would come at a huge personal cost: the possible withdrawal of
love and support from their families; guilt about bringing shame on their
relatives and abandoning their traditions; and tremendous anxiety about the
difficulty of making a life in a lonely, unfamiliar outside world.

My research addressed many interesting theoretical questions about social
control and how groups form and maintain boundaries. It also demonstrated
how private rebellion can actually maintain the status quo. But it raised
other kinds of questions for me as well — questions specific to the place
of contemporary Hasidic communities within the larger context of Jewish
history and American society.

Many of the Hasidic "rebels" I met during the course of my research
expressed anger and immense frustration at being forced — by their own
communities — to live in what many referred to as a "gateless ghetto."
Despite what they had been taught to believe, there were enough cracks in
the symbolic walls of their communities for them to see, with their own
eyes, that America in the 21st century was not analogous to medieval
Europe, or czarist Russia, or Germany in 1933. While other Jews were out
flourishing in American society, why, they wondered, should they be
consigned to a living museum, forced to maintain a "tradition" that many
had come to understand as just one possible expression of Judaism among many.

Many of those I met live in real fear of being discovered for their
"transgressions," afraid of the consequences of discovery not only for
themselves but also for their loved ones. And it is all the more galling to
them that those provoking the fear are the ostensibly "spiritual" leaders
of their communities, as well as family members and sometimes even close
friends. It would be different, of course, if the threat were coming from
people outside the community, or from God, but these people believe that
it's not; indeed, even those who believe in God refuse to see him as
someone who would mete out punishment for seeing a movie or listening to a
Yankees game.

These people are hardly naïve about anti-Semitism — indeed their way of
life has been, to some extent, both a reaction to it and an attempt to ward
it off. Nonetheless, there is a sad irony in the fact that a Hasidic
person's failure to conform to the standards of his own community can
subject him to the kind of stigmatization and ostracism that Jews have
historically suffered at the hands of the outside world. In saying this, I
surely don't mean to minimize the horrors of Jewish persecution. And I also
do not intend to suggest that a belief in the Hasidic worldview, and the
religious, social, and emotional rewards of living as a Hasidic Jew, do not
also motivate people's commitment to the Hasidic way of life and community.
But it is also hard to ignore comments like those of the father of one man
I interviewed who, upon hearing that his son had shaved his beard, accused
him of "being worse than Hitler. By getting rid of your beard," he told
him, "you have killed your Jewish identity and succeeded in carrying out
Hitler's work." In the end, however, I think the son's reaction might be
more telling, indicative of a generational shift in perspective. Musing
over his father's comments, he asked me: "Why are they all so busy with
Hitler? Didn't he already do enough harm?"

While America might have been considered a "nonkosher" country by the
Hasidic rebbes, it is also a country where people are free to create and
live in their own religious communities, by their own rules, apart from the
mainstream. There are, of course, many examples of this: the Amish, the
Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses--the list goes on. However, because those
communities often — for all sorts of reasons — operate according to values
that are antithetical to the stated American ideals of tolerance, personal
freedom, and self-determination, they are inherently threatening to those
very values. I wouldn't want to see America without its sects and cults and
voluntary organizations, but there is also no doubt that all the freedom to
be separate creates fertile soil for the growth of communities that seem to
want anything but freedom for their members and, in rare cases, for others
as well.

As I came to understand through my experience among these Hasidic "rebels,"
there are many things — including technology, physical proximity to other
cultures, and human curiosity — that can cause cracks to develop in a
community's symbolic walls. And as long as the world beyond those walls is
a fairly hospitable place, people will find ways of exploiting those
cracks. Not surprisingly, authorities in the various Hasidic communities
have already responded to this situation by trying to reinforce their
walls, issuing more bans, and attempting to instill more fear. Based on
what I know, however, not only is that unlikely to be effective but it may
also ultimately undermine the very survival of these communities. Perhaps
it is time for a different kind of response.

Hella Winston, a doctoral student in sociology at the Graduate Center of
the City University of New York, is the author of Unchosen: The Hidden
Lives of Hasidic Rebels, published this month by Beacon Press.

--

www.marxmail.org