[Marxism] Question: Joe Hill and the existing labor mov't at that time

Prem K Govindaswamy govi0006 at umn.edu
Mon Nov 21 22:53:36 MST 2005

Joe Hill, I'm told, once said: "To aspire to middle-class status, as the
established labor movement advocated, would mean competing against their
fellow workers and chaining themselves to a system that enslaved them." Was
the established labor mov't at the time advocating workers to aspire to be
middle class, and thus move out of the working class? If so, to what extent
is line an official part of any US labor mov't in the last 50 yrs.? If
anyone could give me some info. on this, that would be great. Thanks.