[Marxism] Jean-Paul Sartre: "Spearheading thoughts about revolution"

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Wed Nov 23 13:17:36 MST 2005

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:59:53 -0500 "Walter  Lippmann"
<walterlx at earthlink.net> writes:
> Sartre was a supporter of the Cuban Revolution. He came, he saw
> and he was enthusiastic. He wrote a book which we used during the
> early days. He was a committed intellectual who fought against his
> home country's imperial adventures.
>
> At the Alliance Francaise, here in Havana, a series of programs on
> the French philosopher, author and activist began yesterday with a
> series of panel discussions, a photo exhibition and a series of
> films based on his works being presented. Among the photographs of
> Sartre and his friends was one showing him during the May-June 1968
> days handing out leaflets and holding a copy of LA CAUSE DU PEUPLE,
> a Maoist newspaper published at the time.

That's a tad inaccurate.  That incident occured in 1970 when
the French government banned La Cause du Peuple along
with several other Maoist newspapers.  In response to this
blatant press censorship by the French government, Sartre
accepted the editorship of that  newspaper and several other
banned papers too.  And he, along with a number other
prominent French intellectuals, openly hawked the
paper in the streets of Paris, with reporters and
photographers from the mass media in tow.
The efforts of Sartre and his fellow intellectuals
eventually defeated the government's repression
of the far left press.