[Marxism] Syriana

Louis R Godena louisgodena at ids.net
Thu Nov 24 08:54:28 MST 2005

Louis;

Good review.   But, why do you call Allen "relentlessly non-political".   He
refused to allow his films to be shown in apartheid South Africa.   He
threatened to do likewise in Israel (even writing an op-ed piece in the NYT
deploring the brutality of the Occupation), and, more recently, he told the
Financial Times' Nigel Andrews that "[t]he current political climate
is...one of the worst I can remember in my lifetime, if not the worst and
maybe one of the worst of all time" (March 12/13).   Of course, I'm not
aware of any overt political involvement on Allen's part in the anti-war or
anti-apartheid movements, so perhaps that was what you were referring to?

Louis Godena