[Marxism] Another Syriana review

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Nov 24 11:42:47 MST 2005

(Exactly the same criticisms as mine.)

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20051212/klawans
The Best Intentions

by STUART KLAWANS

[from the December 12, 2005 issue]

I want America to watch a serious movie about guns and oil, spooks and
money, geopolitics and fractured family life, in all their Tolstoyan
interconnectedness. What I need, though, is for George Clooney to joke
manfully about having the world's coolest toys. I want a thriller where the
establishing shots ("Beirut. Hezbollah Headquarters") set up instructive
scenes showing how the poor and dispossessed struggle in the Middle East,
the wealthy enjoy their high life in Geneva, the powerful scheme for more
power in Washington. What I need, though, is for Matt Damon to zoom through
a crazy car chase, followed by sex with a startling woman. I want ambition
and substance and contemporaneity and big ideas, and I want them released
nationwide. What I need is for Jeffrey Wright to act everybody else off the
screen.

I want--or am supposed to want--the big and very serious new movie with
Clooney, Damon and Wright. But sometime during the second hour of watching
CIA operative Clooney, bearded and plump, schlep around like Zero Mostel
doing baggy-suit tragedy; sometime while seeing Damon behave no more
colorfully than would his character, a market analyst, and witnessing
Wright's unrelieved confinement in the role of a corporation attorney--the
kind of guy who would iron his underpants, after starching them--my
personal cravings fell into conflict with the good of the electorate. I
wanted Three Kings, The Bourne Identity, Angels in America, no matter how
much the American people might need Stephen Gaghan's Syriana.

Does an informed citizenry require this picture? Maybe. Television and
radio do a poor job of analyzing the relationships among oil companies,
lawyers, financiers, governments (at overt and covert levels) and the
world's Muslim population (whether militant or just hanging on). In fact,
television and radio generally welcome such analysis as they would a tax
audit from a hepatitis carrier. They prefer such unpleasantness to be
handled by The Nation, a publication that goes unread by 99.93 percent of
Americans. So all honor to Gaghan, his producers and Warner Bros. for
taking on the job. If Gaghan (best known for the screenplay of Steven
Soderbergh's Traffic) has overreached, then he's failed the right way,
through an excess of virtue. Syriana's flaws, presumably, would come from
his faults as a first-time director.

Maybe. Inexperience might account for the stuttering rhythms of Syriana
(new scenes keep breaking in before the old ones really get started), or
the frequent use of images as mere accompaniments to dialogue, or the lapse
of having Matt Damon and his movie wife, Amanda Peet, attend a funeral
looking like the world's best-rested mourners. Nonlethal errors, you might
say, even though they blow across the screen with the monotony of a
sandstorm. The bigger problem--for which inexperience cannot be an
excuse--lies with the script itself.

Gaghan has focused the screenplay on characters who work as midlevel
functionaries: the aging covert operations guy who's too professional for
his own good, the young market analyst who blunders his way into serving a
Persian Gulf prince, the lawyer who's assigned to search for illegalities
in a huge corporate merger. In the course of Syriana, all of these men get
squeezed by people with more power and a greater stake in the game--a
premise that helps to structure the film and has the added merit of being
plausible. Yet the contrasting ways in which these characters respond to
pressure turn out to be irrelevant. Their choices have large personal
consequences--destroying an individual career here, advancing one
there--but they cannot affect the great oiled machine that Gaghan has
constructed as his cinematic world. It rolls over everyone without so much
as a cough in the carburetor.

This is neither realism nor tragedy. It's cynicism, which exposes itself
most nakedly in Damon's addresses to the Arab characters, and in Gaghan's
own portrayal of them.

Damon first. In speeches that pointedly dispense with all courtesy, his
character castigates the Persian Gulf princes for arrogance, incompetence,
addiction to luxury and indifference to work. Damon bellows these charges
straight into the camera--and in the movies, energy doesn't lie. He's
thrilling the crowd (a presumably non-Islamic audience) by telling off the
Arab elite on their behalf. Although Gaghan, in a gesture toward fairness,
has invented one good Arab prince (Alexander Siddig), whose principles are
so wholesome that Sesame Street could teach them, I think he expects most
viewers to recognize Damon's angry tune and to hum along with it.

When Gaghan turns from the elite to Islam's masses, he uses no mouthpiece.
Instead, he directly sums up untold millions in the character of a
Pakistani guest worker (Mazhar Munir), who follows a predictable route from
the unemployment line to a terrorist-spawning Islamic school. Like the
other characters, he is mere fuel for Gaghan's world-machine; but unlike
them, he isn't given even the illusion of choice. His course is set from
the moment he comes on screen--which makes nonsense of the pretty talk of
democracy that you hear from Damon and his prince.

In this way, Syriana spreads before you a grand political vista, only to
deny the possibility of political agency. In the film's terms, the sole
effective sphere of action is the family--and, more specifically, the
father-son relationship. This, too, is a structural element of the
screenplay, which sets up contrasts among all the characters. But just as
Syriana misses the fun of a good thriller, so too does it fall short as
family drama.

Put it this way: At the end of War and Peace, Tolstoy filled the father's
hand with a soaking diaper. In Syriana, unfortunately, we don't get that
much juice.