[Marxism] More racist hilarity from Sacha Baron Cohen (Ali G)

Calvin Broadbent calvinbroadbent at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 25 07:25:01 MST 2005

<http://newsbox.msn.co.uk/article.aspx?as=adimarticle&ae=windows-1252&f=uk_-_olgbtopnews&t=4023&id=1735780&d=20051125&do=http://newsbox.msn.co.uk&i=http://newsbox.msn.co.uk/mediaexportlive&ks=0&mc=5&ml=ma&lc=en>

Borat responds to Kazakh legal threat

ALMATY (Reuters) - Comedian Sacha Baron Cohen, who uses a boorish, sexist
and racist Kazakh alter ego called Borat to poke fun at interviewees has
responded to a legal threat from the Kazakh authorities by satirically
welcoming the move.

Cohen, who plays the spoof Kazakh television reporter in his "Da Ali G
Show", incurred the wrath of Kazakhstan's Foreign Ministry this month after
appearing as Borat at the annual MTV Europe Music Awards.

He described shooting dogs for fun and said his wife could not leave
Kazakhstan as she was a woman. The Foreign Ministry said his behaviour was
unacceptable and that Cohen might be serving political orders to tarnish
Kazakhstan's reputation.

Responding in character as Borat, Cohen, who is Jewish, said: "I like to
state, I have no connection with Mr Cohen and fully support my government's
position to sue this Jew.

"Since 2003 ... Kazakhstan is as civilised as any other country in the
world," he said on his website, www.borat.kz.

"Women can now travel on inside of bus, homosexuals no longer have to wear
blue hat and age of consent has been raised to eight years old.

One Western diplomat in the Central Asian state's biggest city Almaty said
he at least partly sympathised with the Kazakh government in trying to set
the record straight.

"They are damned if they do (respond) and damned if they don't," he said.
"It's sort of unfortunate that he hit upon Kazakhstan.