[Marxism] Re: Noise and workers' hearts

Marla Vijaya kumar marlavk at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 25 08:33:30 MST 2005

 David Walters writes :"Out of the close to 900 subscribers on this
list, I probably work at a place with the highest noise level around: a

power plant, and, for 20 years. Oh boy."

I think I understand your condition better, being a designer of
power plant equipment. Present regulations specify 85dBA as the
permissible noise level at 1M around the turbine-generator and
70 dBA outside the powewr house.
It is next to impossible to achieve this level without a noise
suppression hood around the machines. But as a designer, I have my
own doubts about the effectiveness of these hoods. Now the new
regulations talk about 70 dBA limit.
Every other day, I spend hours in the factory test bed, where the
generators are tested, and they are usually tested without enclosure,
and the noise level is unbearable. Ear plugs will hinder our
communications and moreover, we have to go round the machine
and gauge the noise signature, just as a doctor checks the
patient's pulse.
Vijaya Kumar Marla