[Marxism] Million Worker March work in Detroit Part II

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Fri Nov 25 09:52:07 MST 2005

July 11, 2005

________________________________

Come join the Million Worker March committee at our regularly scheduled
bi-weekly meeting on Thursday, July 14 beginning at 6:00 at the Hannan House
at 4750 Woodward Avenue in Detroit. For more information, contact us at
detroitmwm at yahoo.com <mailto:detroitmwm at yahoo.com
<mailto:detroitmwm at yahoo.com> >

July 6, 2005

________________________________

The Detroit Committee of the Million Worker March invites you to our

Burgers & Beer

Backyard BBQ fundraiser for Detroit City Council candidate Maureen D. Taylor
on Saturday, July 16th, 2005, from 5-8 p.m. at 16139 Chapel St, Detroit.

For more information,

follow this link: <http://www.mwmdetroit.org/BurgerBeer.html
<http://www.mwmdetroit.org/BurgerBeer.html> >

June 30, 2005

________________________________

The Michigan Emergency Committee against War and Injustice (MECAWI) is
planning a big door to door outreach in a neighborhood of Detroit on the
issue of "Money for Detroit, Not for War in Iraq." To finalize plans and get
more people involved MECAWI invites you to attend a meeting on Wednesday,
July 6 at 7 p.m. at 5920 Second Avenue (just north of Wayne State U). With
the public turning strongly against the war, and with Bush & company digging
in deeper, it is urgent that we draw more and more people into the struggle.

Our general plan is to spend July 16 and July 23 with a sound truck, door to
door leafleting, postering, etc. in the area around Davison Avenue and
Dexter Avenue in the near west side of Detroit. On Saturday, July 30 we will
be in Zussman Park (Davison just west of Dexter) from noon to 4 p.m. with
Music, speakers, free hot dogs and pop. If you can't make the July 6
planning meeting, you can meet us at Zussman Park at 9 a.m. on July 16
and/or 23 to get involved.

June 20, 2005

________________________________

Come join the Million Worker March committee at our regularly scheduled
bi-weekly meeting on Thursday, June 23 beginning at 6:00 at the Hannan House
at 4750 Woodward Avenue in Detroit. For more information, contact us at
detroitmwm at yahoo.com <mailto:detroitmwm at yahoo.com
<mailto:detroitmwm at yahoo.com> >

June 7, 2005

________________________________

Come join the Million Worker March committee at our regularly scheduled
bi-weekly meeting on Thursday, June 9 beginning at 6:00 at the Hannan House
at 4750 Woodward Avenue in Detroit. For more information, contact us at
detroitmwm at yahoo.com <mailto:detroitmwm at yahoo.com
<mailto:detroitmwm at yahoo.com> >

MAY 28, 2005

________________________________

The Detroit committee, in solidarity with the membership of UAW Local 2334,
recently adopted the following resolution:

Whereas thousands of Detroit residents and others in the metropolitan area
served by the Detroit Water & Sewerage Department (DWSD) have had their
water service cut off by the DWSD

And whereas shutting off water service endangers the health and safety of
all, especially children

And Whereas the current economic conditions in Detroit and Michigan are in a
crisis dominated by unemployment, underemployment and low wages that make it
difficult for many to pay high utility bills, food and rent

Therefore be it resolved that the Detroit Million Worker March goes on
record strongly condemning the shutting off of anyone's water for economic
reasons and supports the Michigan Welfare Rights Organization
<http://mwro.org/ <http://mwro.org/> > 's efforts to get the DWSD and the
Detroit City Council to halt shutoffs, restore service and provide for a
reasonable reduction of water rates for those who are unable to afford these
increasing rates.

MAY 27, 2005

________________________________

Members of the Detroit committee of the Million Worker March participated in
a rally last Saturday, May 21, along with scores of other supporters of
Reverend Edward Pinkney and BANCO (the Black Autonomy Network Community
Organization), and against the policies and misdeeds of the Benton Harbor,
Michigan city government. For an account of Saturday's rally, there's a news
<http://michiganimc.org/newswire/display/11051/index.php
<http://michiganimc.org/newswire/display/11051/index.php> > . For more
information on the struggle in Benton Harbor, visit BANCO's web site at
banco4bh.com <http://banco4bh.com/ <http://banco4bh.com/> > .

MAY 25, 2005

________________________________

The Million Worker March committee will conduct a regularly scheduled
discussion meeting on Thursday, May 26 beginning at 6:00 at the Metropolitan
Center for Technology at 2727 Second Avenue in Detroit. For more
information, contact us at detroitmwm at yahoo.com <mailto:detroitmwm at yahoo.com
<mailto:detroitmwm at yahoo.com> >

MAY 10, 2005

________________________________

Come join the Million Worker March committee at our final Reportback
planning meeting on Thursday, May 12 beginning at 6:00 at the Hannan House
at 4750 Woodward Avenue in Detroit. For more information, contact us at
detroitmwm at yahoo.com <mailto:detroitmwm at yahoo.com
<mailto:detroitmwm at yahoo.com> >

MAY 3, 2005

________________________________

Come join the Million Worker March committee at our regularly scheduled
bi-weekly meeting on Friday, May 6 beginning at 6:00 at the Hannan House at
4750 Woodward Avenue in Detroit. For more information, contact us at
detroitmwm at yahoo.com <mailto:detroitmwm at yahoo.com
<mailto:detroitmwm at yahoo.com> >

APRIL 23, 2005

________________________________

Million Worker March National Reportback/Networking Meeting & Labor
Community Speak Out

UAW Local 22, 4300 Michigan Avenue, Detroit

* Stop the starving of cities to feed the Pentagon!

* Fight the cutbacks in Detroit and other cities!

Join the Detroit committee as it hosts the National Reportback and
Networking Meeting of the Million Worker March movement on Saturday and
Sunday, May 14 & 15, and welcomes speakers including:

Brenda Stokely

AFSCME Daycare Union leader, NY

Clarence Thomas

Dock Worker (ILWU Local 10) Co-Chair, Million Worker March

Saladin Muhammed

Black Workers for Justice, North Carolina

Larry Holmes

International Action Center

Join the discussion as we examine the following issues:

* Education * Environment * Jobs * Health Care * Social Security * Housing *
Privatization * * Amnesty for All Immigrants - Defending Immigrant Rights *
Utilities * Water Rights * Voting Rights * Reparations * Canceling the Debt
at Home and Abroad * * Bringing the Troops Home, Now! *

Suggested admission donation for both days of the National Reportback and
Networking Meeting (advance or on site) is $25, or $5 for unemployed
(sliding scale). Registration begins at 9:30 a.m. Saturday morning.

A Community Labor Speak Out, free to the public, will follow Saturday's
Meeting, from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.

To register in advance for the 2-day National Meeting, send the registration
form <http://www.mwmdetroit.org/Registration.html
<http://www.mwmdetroit.org/Registration.html> > , along with payment, to:

MWM c/o UAW Local 2334

2727 Second Ave, #314-D

Detroit, MI 48201

For more info, call: 313 706-2985 or

Email: detroitmwm at yahoo.com <mailto:detroitmwm at yahoo.com
<mailto:detroitmwm at yahoo.com> >

APRIL 13, 2005

________________________________

Is the Detroit Budget Crisis A Lie?

The mayor and other politicians say that Detroit is broke and in debt. They
say that jobs and wages must be cut. They say that city services like buses
must be cut and that schools must be closed. Why?

Where Is Our Money?

We are told that Detroit doesn't have enough money because there aren't
enough people who live here and pay taxes anymore. But the city has a lot of
money. Our tax money goes to:

- THE BANKS that collected over $360 million in interest payments on the
city's debt last year. That amount alone would have covered this year's
entire budget deficit, projected to be $300 million.

- BIG COMPANIES that get big tax breaks from the city and then give us only
a few jobs, if any.

- THE WAR IN IRAQ which took over $400 million of Detroit's money last year.

If our money weren't going to these three places, we would have plenty of
money for jobs, housing, schools, health care, transportation and utilities.

What Can We Do?

We can change this situation. We need to:

- TELL THE CITY we refuse to accept layoffs, wage cuts or cuts in city
services. No state takeover by receivership.

- TELL THE BANKS to forgive some of the city's debt and reduce the interest
rate.

- TELL THE CITY to refuse to pay interest on the debt for as long as
possible.

- TELL THE CITY to stop giving tax breaks to rich companies, and make them
pay their share of back taxes.

- TELL THE U.S. GOVERNMENT to end the war in Iraq and cut the military
budget.

How Can We Do It?

We CAN make these things happen, but only if we join together, work together
and fight for our rights together. We need to:

- Bring all kinds of everyday people together - workers and unemployed
people, members of different unions as well as non-union people, young and
old people.

- Realize that we have to change things ourselves - nothing is going to
change unless we are wiling to fight for our rights.

- Find new political and union leaders - Most of our current elected and
unelected leaders can't or won't help us.

- Move beyond the Democratic and Republican parties - neither of these has
our interests at heart. We need to speak in our own name.

- Build one big movement to demand change - organize protests and workplace
actions.

The Detroit Million Worker March wants to help make this happen. If you'd
like to join us e-mail us at detroitmwm at yahoo.com
<mailto:detroitmwm at yahoo.com <mailto:detroitmwm at yahoo.com> > or
paladin at dmci.net <mailto:paladin at dmci.net <mailto:paladin at dmci.net> > . Or
check our calendar <http://www.mwmdetroit.org/MWM_calendar.html
<http://www.mwmdetroit.org/MWM_calendar.html> > for information on joining
us at our next bi-weekly meeting!

APRIL 8, 2005

________________________________

MARCH ON MANOOGIAN!

Demand that Mayor Kilpatrick stop layoffs against Detroit workers, stop
utility shut-offs, stop cuts in bus service, and stop further cuts to city
services!

Please join us at 11:30 a.m. on Saturday, April 16, for a march on the
Mayor's house on Dwight Drive in Detroit. Marchers will meet at Erma
Henderson Park, at the NE corner at E. Jefferson Avenue at Marina Drive in
Detroit (1/2 mile east of Van Dyke). Bring your signs, banners family and
friends!

Organized and sponsored by the following community organizations:

AFSCME Local 207

AFSCME Local 2920

Michigan Welfare Rights Organization (MWRO)

Detroit Million Worker March (MWM)

Detroit Green Party

Sweetwater Alliance

Michigan Emergency Committee Against War & Injustice (MECAWI)

Call 'em Out!!!

Highland Park Human Rights Coalition

APRIL 8, 2005

________________________________

>From the LOCAL 207 ORGANIZER:

Mayor Kilpatrick is saying Detroit must "right-size" by cutting city
services and city jobs. He will be more specific on April 12, when he
presents his 2005-06 budget to City Council. But we can stand up for
Detroit's future!

The AFSCME City of Detroit Presidents are calling on all city workers, city
residents and supporters of public services to rally on April 12 at 4:00
p.m. at the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center (Woodward entrance).

No Service Cuts! No Job Cuts! Demand a Decent Contract!

Stop the second-class treatment of Detroit!

Mayor Kilpatrick has discredited himself with the people of Detroit. Yet
Kilpatrick and big business still underestimate Detroit's unity and
willingness to fight. So they have suffered serious political defeats in
their efforts to screw Detroiters.

Proposal E was their attempt to take over our schools, but our
union-community organizing defeated them at the polls two-to-one!
Union-community rallies, and a huge angry turnout at a City Council hearing
forced Kilpatrick to rescind most layoffs and bus service cuts at DDOT.

When Detroiters organize and fight, we win. We can save our city services
and city jobs, and defeat Kilpatrick's demands for contract concessions by
fighting smarter, longer and harder than them. And we intend to win.

MARCH 26, 2005

________________________________

On Monday, March 28, Maureen Taylor will announce her candidacy for the
Detroit City Council, which the Detroit committee of the Million Worker
Movement enthusiastically endorses. The following is the text of the
official campaign news release:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: (March 25, 2005)

DETROIT ACTIVIST ANNOUNCES HER CANDIDACY FOR CITY COUNCIL

Grassroots Candidate Turns in Over 1,000 Signatures

Maureen Taylor <http://www.mwmdetroit.org/maureen.jpg
<http://www.mwmdetroit.org/maureen.jpg> > On Monday, March 28th, at 2:00 PM,
longtime Detroit activist and advocate for the poor, Maureen D. Taylor, will
turn in nominating petitions for a place on the November ballot in her race
for a seat on Detroit's city council. Maureen and a group of her supporters
will appear at the City Clerk's office in the Coleman A. Young Municipal
Building in downtown Detroit. They will turn in the required number of
signatures to officially launch her grassroots campaign.

Taylor is well known for her work as a community organizer, serving as the
state chairperson of the Michigan Welfare Rights Organization. Taylor has
been a vocal critic of various administrative policies that violate the
rights and human needs of the poor, the unemployed, the aged, the disabled,
and the children. Added to the campaign is the call for local acceptance of
the recently submitted Water Affordability Plan and drastic cuts in the
ballooning military budget to which Detroiters make huge contributions.

Maureen Taylor sees her campaign for a seat on Detroit's city council not as
a personal career move, but as part of a movement for and by the poor and
working people of the city. Detroit resident Melissa Hornaday is a staunch
supporter of Taylor and her work: "Maureen is definitely for real. She
doesn't just talk the talk, she walks the walk. Our city needs her on the
council to get things moving and get people's basic human rights met." Basic
needs is the crux of her campaign, which includes: affordable housing, jobs
for today's markets, affordable utilities, a moratorium on utility
shut-offs, accessible healthcare, property tax roll backs for homeowners, an
end to insurance red-lining, and a return to a decent quality of life for
all Detroiters. Residents ought to have unconditional respect from public
servants. Residents should have an expectation of civility that comes with
freedom from hunger and safe neighborhoods. An end to corporate welfare is
part of the Grassroots Campaign, NO cut backs in public transportation, and
a collaborative approach toward public education that secures the best for
the city residents is imperative.

WHAT: Maureen Taylor and supporters officially announce candidacy at City
Hall

WHEN: Monday, March 28th at 2 PM

WHERE: Coleman A. Young Municipal Building, 2 Woodward Ave.

WHO: Committee to Elect Maureen Taylor

CONTACT: Maureen Taylor (313-832-0618),

Jim Griffin (gryphgriff (at) hotmail.com (313-554-4165),

Nellie Jeffries (n.slater (at) att.net (313-342-9113)

END

For more online information regarding Ms. Taylor's campaign, visit her
website:

www.taylorforcouncil.org/ <outbind://45/www.taylorforcouncil.org/>
<http://www.taylorforcouncil.org/ <http://www.taylorforcouncil.org/> >

MARCH 22, 2005

________________________________

Come join the Million Worker March committee at our regularly scheduled
bi-weekly meeting on Thursday, March 24 beginning at 6:30 at the
Metropolitan Center for Technology at 2727 Second Avenue in Detroit. For
more information, contact us at detroitmwm at yahoo.com
<mailto:detroitmwm at yahoo.com <mailto:detroitmwm at yahoo.com> >

MARCH 14, 2005

________________________________

A statement was recently issued by Detroit City Council member JoAnn Watson
regarding Detroit's current financial crisis:

RESOLUTION

February 22, 2005

By: COUNCIL MEMBER JOANN WATSON

WHEREAS, the City of Detroit is in the midst of a serious financial crisis
that will ikely require the comprehensive overhaul of the City's budget and
departmental structures; and

WHEREAS, the residents of the City of Detroit are at great risk because of
the current crisis; and

WHEREAS, the City is otherwise faced with large budget deficits; and

WHEREAS, Sean K. Werdlow, the Chief Financial Officer/Finance Director for
the City of Detroit has requested that all suppliers of services and goods
to the City voluntarily accept a 10% reduction in the amount paid on the
balance of their contracts; and

WHEREAS, banks, bondholders, beneficiaries of City economic development
assistance and other corporate entities to whom the City is indebted are the
City's primary creditors who continue to profit greatly from the City's
ever-declining revenues; and

WHEREAS, fairness demands that if contractors are requested to vountarily
reduce the amounts owed to them by the City, then the request should
likewise be directed to the City's largest creditors;

NOW THEREFORE BE IT

RESOLVED, that the City Council for the City of Detroit calls upon Sean K.
Werdlow, Chief Financial Officer/Finance Director for the City of Detroit,
to report to the City Council about the status of the City's largest debts,
and to request that banks, bondholders and other corporate entities to whom
the City is indebted, voluntarily reduce the amounts owed by the City by 10%
across the board.

MARCH 1, 2005

________________________________

Come join the Million Worker March committee at our regularly scheduled
bi-weekly meeting on Thursday, March 10 beginning at 6:00 at the
Metropolitan Center for Technology at 2727 Second Avenue in Detroit. For
more information, contact us at detroitmwm at yahoo.com
<mailto:detroitmwm at yahoo.com <mailto:detroitmwm at yahoo.com> >

FEBRUARY 15, 2005

________________________________

Come join the Million Worker March committee at our regularly scheduled
bi-weekly meeting on Tuesday, February 22 beginning at 6:00 at the Hannan
House at 4750 Woodward Avenue in Detroit. For more information, contact us
at detroitmwm at yahoo.com <mailto:detroitmwm at yahoo.com
<mailto:detroitmwm at yahoo.com> >

FEBRUARY 8, 2005

________________________________

Come join the Million Worker March committee at our regularly scheduled
bi-weekly meeting on Thursday, February 10 beginning at 6:00 at the Semcosh
office, 7752 W. Vernor in Detroit (near Springwells). For more information,
contact us at detroitmwm at yahoo.com <mailto:detroitmwm at yahoo.com
<mailto:detroitmwm at yahoo.com> >

FEBRUARY 1, 2005

________________________________

Get involved with the Detroit Million Worker March Movement

Fight Back Against .

- the budget cuts

- school closings

- service cutbacks

- layoffs

- utility shutoffs

- war & its effect on the budget deficit

- attacks on immigrants' rights

- racism & sexism

Come to a public speak out/forum Saturday . February 5 . 1:00 PM UAW Local
22 Hall, 4300 Michigan Avenue, Detroit, 48210 (just west of W. Grand Blvd.)

Featured Speakers:

- Leamon Wilson - President of AFSCME Local 312, DDOT workers, will speak on
the attacks against city workers.

- Maureen Taylor - State Chair of the Mich. Welfare Rights Org., will speak
on the wave of utility shut offs and homelessness.

- Russ Bellant - Training director of IOUE Local 547, will speak on the
attacks on our public education.

- Andrea Hackett - Mich. Emergency Committee Against War and Injustice will
speak on the war and its domestic impact.

- Ric Urrutia - Member of the Black/Brown Alliance will speak to the
struggles of immigrant workers.

- Derek Grigsby - Detroit Million Worker March Ctte., member AFSCME Local
207

- Charles Brown - Detroit Million Worker March Ctte.

LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD!

The Detroit Million Worker March forum will consist of presentations from
local leaders of some key community and union struggles. There will be a
speak out from the audience to further educate all involved as well as
address possible actions to be supported and taken. From there, all
attending will have a chance to vote for actions we can all help build.

Food and refreshments will be provided. For more information call: (313)
706-2985 or detroitmwm at yahoo.com