[Marxism] 'ANGELA DAVIS, L'ENCHAINEMENT'

Paul H. Dillon illonph at pacbell.net
Fri Nov 25 11:59:41 MST 2005

Whoever wrote that intro doesn't know their history.  Angela Davis was
imprisoned for allegedly providing support to Jonathan Jackson, George
Jackson's younger brother (and a very sweet kid, really), who kidnapped a
judge at gunpoint (actually a shot gun taped to the judge's neck) in an
effort to free not just George Jackson but 7 inmates who had been advocating
Black Power inside the California prison system--they moved these guys
around from Soledad to Folsom to San Quentin on a regular basis, still
hadn't built any SuperMax at that time.   The event took place at Frank
Lloyd Wright's beloved Marin County Courthouse in upscale San Rafael, heart
of Marin County which houses San Quentin.  .  The police mowed down Jonathan
and his two comrades in a hail of gunfire, the judge also lost his head in
the event when the shotgun taped to his neck discharged.  Angela was
eventually freed and charges dropped.

Amazing how short a time period it takes for history to start twisting
itself.  I had been with Jonathan at a UFWA meeting in Salinas, CA only two
weeks before the Marin County Courthouse event went down.

Paul Dillon