[Marxism] Lula, Kirchner and national bourgeoisie

Joaquín Bustelo jbustelo at bellsouth.net
Fri Nov 25 21:35:21 MST 2005

Nestor is probably right in saying that there's no serious national
bourgeois faction genuinely backing either Kirchner or Lula -- he is
certainly closer to the situation than I am. And I believe he is right
because everything I know about Latin America, a lot less than many
other comrades, but I do know some, leads me to think you'd be hard
pressed to find a serious national bourgeois faction anywhere. Although
I do believe there is such a thing as a "national bourgeoisie", i.e.,
one whose economic interests would be better served by achieving
liberation or at least a greater degree of autonomy from imperialism.
The problem in getting from there to a serious national bourgeois
faction is that the question isn't mostly economic, it is  social and
political. And limiting as imperialist tutelage may be to their economic
aspirations, being left alone to contend with their own working class,
peasantry and popular classes is even less attractive.

But I don't know to what extent Lula can be said to "represent"
privileged or other workers, his policies to me seem --without having
tried to become a Brazil expert as some post, ex, and 110% orthodox
trots have become (or at least think they have), so I can only say this
tentatively-- very much those of a conscious and thought-through
national bourgeois "project." My --again-- *impression* is that they are
coherent around a certain class axis that coincides or overlaps with
areas of OUR class interests, but doesn't really represent even a
short-sighted version of working class interests.

Kirchner, I don't know why, I actually *like* better than Lula. Perhaps
it is because I know less about him, but from the few times I've heard
him speak and more or less being subjected to news about Argentina at
work, he gives the me the impression of being less calculatingly
bourgeois and more genuinely national. And the frequent criticisms of
him of being unwilling or unable to repress strikes (how merited these
criticism are is awfully hard to tell from thousands of miles away)
re-enforces that. This is all quite consistent with Nestor's description
of his social base.

Joaquín