[Marxism] RE: Noise and worker's hearts

Les Schaffer schaffer at optonline.net
Sun Nov 27 10:38:58 MST 2005

Marla Vijaya kumar wrote:

> I am pleasantly surprised at your deep interest in matters
> technological.

i was trained in mechanical engineering before getting into physics. i
am teaching a course in the physics of sound (and music) this semester,
so the noise effects article grabbed my interest for multiple reasons.
next week i will show the class data on noise levels in different
industries. if you have data you can share from your work on noise
monitoring, i will show it in class. i've already discussed development
of acoustic weapons by the US military, and their physical effects. then
i told them about a car some student drives to school with an immense
sub-woofer in the trunk. the low end bass is so loud and deep, i  felt
it diffilcut to breathe when i stuck my head in his car (i guess he is a
stoic). students then could grasp the effects of sound that resonates
with the chest cavity.

yes, i am aware of logarithmic scale, i was wondering about the cost
from 90 down to 70 since the article on heart noise mentioned the latter
as a limit.

> I hope other will not find this techno mumbo-jumbo
> boring, but I will try to limit my tech lingo.

we had a discussion on nuclear power about a month ago. feel free to
join in on these technical excursions. i am all for having tech-aware
dialogs between marxists.

> Noise has no direct relation to power

i was thinking of variable RPM designs and also IC engines. if you say
nukes and carbon-fired
plants run at the same RPM, i can believe noise is equivalent from the
turbine output shaft thru the generator.  what about combustion noise in
carbon-fired plants? is it minimal compared to shaft/bearing noise?

in other industries, there is direct connection between power and noise.
think of drop forges for example, or cutting equipment. and jon
flander's comments on locomotive maintenance.

agreed on your comment about structural rigidity.

> EMI regulations are well established and we in India follow the same
> standards as elsewhere in the world. I am talking about
> machine-machine related electrical pollution.

that's what i was saying, there is more regulations governing
inter-machine interference here too, at least on the electrical side.
can't sell (consumer) goods here if the boards wont function properly.

> Anyway, this concept
> had not yet entered public domain and is limited to academic
> research and engineering organizations. But I am sure, harmonics
> are going to be a big issue in the coming days.

i wonder, will this change as more consumer goods requiring higher
quality power feeds swamp your country.

good talking with you..

les schaffer