[Marxism] RE: Noise and worker's hearts

Les Schaffer schaffer at optonline.net
Sun Nov 27 12:21:21 MST 2005

Juan Carlos wrote:

> Hello my friend: You  know something? i have 180 books and I cannot
> read them because of high-levels of noises.  I live in Dominican Republic

i have a (very good) student in another physics class from your country.
but she gets kind of shy when i start talking politics. i will ask her
about where she lives.

> a very unregulated society and there are no laws here for noises, and
> the noise-levels here are so high at least around my neighborhood that
> i cannot concentrate with peace to read the revolutionary books i have
> (What a kicker),

i just noticed that the DOminican Today carried a piece on the German study:

   http://www.dominicantoday.com/app/article.aspx?id=7495

saw Pakistani papers cover it as well. there is WHO study that
identifies developing countries where noise in the workplace is most
problematic:

  http://www.who.int/entity/quantifying_ehimpacts/publications/en/ebd9.pdf

seems that sewing shops in southeast asia are none too easy on the ear.

> although i have to confess that I listen to hard rock music real loud

me too

> i have 2 500 watts speakers in my car

that's loud. the student who drives the boom-boom car is from Latin
America (tho not exactly sure which part).

> I don't know but developed countries like USA are a lot better for
> students than under developend countries like Dominican Republic, at
> least developed countries have laws to control noises

though they are often only weakly enforced.

which reminds me, when i was in DC for the last anti-war demo, i
remember being struck by the EPA building that we marched by. it seemed
very elegant and nicely designed, sort of in inverse proportion to the
agency's effectiveness in dealing w/ environmental issues.

by the way, i am the technical moderator for this list. if you write me
offlist if you need help with avoiding duplicate posting. also, see the
rules here:

  http://archives.econ.utah.edu/archives/marxism/2005w32/msg00090.htm

for how to format posts to the list.

les schaffer