[Marxism] From rail fan to asst chief

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Mon Nov 28 05:42:53 MST 2005

My dear Rrubinelli the railroad man:

As a rail fan I have always read your tech notes on US railroading
with delight.

But this that you sent yesterday to Marxmail has taken me to what you
may well guess to be an ugly conclusion.  Please read what follows
carefully and sit down before you go ahead.

Done?  OK, then go ahead.

Listen, man, had you been Argentinean, you would have been a
Peronist.  Moreover, I would bet to it that you would have been a
leading member in APDFA, the union of railroad managers here.
Serious railroad professionals here can have no other coherent
political belief (except for, of course, membering some group of
Argentinean National Left, which for the time being looks less than
unlikely), because the whole railroad policy of oligarchic-
imperialist reaction since 1955 has targeted our railroads badly and
serious railroad care takes you almost naturally towards unionization
and defense of the Peronist policies on railroads.  By the mid 50s,
for example, Argentina was beginning to build its own locomotives.

You would really love to have a meeting with, for example, Eng. Elido
Veschi.  This meeting might have deletereous consequences, however,
because you might even change your mind about Peronism after that.
You might even begin to see what is it that a "national front"
implies.

Best.

BTW:  in old Argentina, those strange and forgotten times when we
were something resembling a country, we had wooden ties that provided
better results than concrete ties.  They were made of quebracho, a
tree that grows in the Chaco dry forest.  A very hard and dense wood,
it sinks down when in water and doesn't rot.  On such ties, we sent
trains at the highest speeds ever obtained on our tracks, 100 MPH,
during the 60s.

If you ever come down here, I will take you to the Ferro-club of
Remedios de Escalada, an association of rail fans who try to restore
and bring to at least some kind of museum life something of what
little remains (after privatization) of Arg railroads rolling stock
and old steam locomotives.

Did you know that after privatization (a move where US companies like
Burlington had a lot to do) most of the 40 000 km of track (that is,
around 25 000 miles) was sold to Korean steel mills as scrap iron?
Guess what happened with rolling stock, and even signal cabins.  No,
no.  Better don't.  Have a good day.

Enviado por:marxism-request at lists.econ.utah.edu
Con fecha:27 Nov 2005, a las 23:40

> Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 22:42:42 -0500
> From: "rrubinelli" <rrubinelli at earthlink.net>
> Subject: Re: [Marxism] Popular/national fronts, dissappointments, To:
> "Activists and scholars in Marxist tradition"
>  <marxism at lists.econ.utah.edu>
>
> Maximum authorized speed, (MAS) Hudson Line:  MP 11.5-CP25, 75 mph; CP
> 25-CP 33, 70 mph (CP means controlled point; remotely controlled
> interlocking).  North of Harmon, near Garrison, NY (across from West
> Point) we have FRA Class 5 track, MAS 95 MPH  and that extends to
> Poughkeepsie, with speed restrictions for curves, bridges, etc.  We
> call those "civil restrictions,"  as opposed to signal governed speed
> restrictions which maintain the safe spacing of trains.  North of CP
> 75 (former Conrail) MAS increases to 110 MPH for passenger trains.

[...]
> I do know a little bit of what I'm talking about DW, I am the asst
> chief of  operations.

Este correo lo ha enviado
Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar