[Marxism] Re: Class struggle. [Was: Deutscher prize jurorexplains Kevin Murphy award, sort of]

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Nov 28 17:30:13 MST 2005

Tom O'Lincoln:
>The issue was whether it's "anti-Marxist" to think there could be class
>struggle in the early days of the Russian Revolution.

I don't care what Lenin said. How do you like them apples.

There was no capitalist class in Russia shortly after 1917 and the
consolidation of Soviet power. The notion of a capitalist class is tied up
with the ownership of the means of production like in the USA. I am just
finishing up a bio of Katherine Graham that deals with the struggle over
control of the Washington Post after her husband Philip Graham killed
himself. Fascinating stuff. The first editor she hired was a life-long
enemy of newspaper unions who she brought in to get control of the
situation and maximize profits.

In the USSR, even during the NEP, there was no capitalist class as such.
You had the emergence of an agrarian bourgeoisie until the boneheaded
Stalin liquidated them (and just about everything else in the countryside).

Anyhow, if you want to believe that there was a class struggle in the
Soviet Union when the bureaucracy owned virtually nothing, be my guest.
Just don't be obstreperous about it and don't bang on about it for weeks.
That's all I ask.