[Marxism] It's those damn petty-bourgeois at it again!

Sabri Oncu soncu at pacbell.net
Wed Nov 30 02:58:02 MST 2005

Callum:

>>Needless to say, this is imperialism in name only
>>because wealth flowed from the Soviet Union to Cuba
>>(and East Europe, for that matter) rather
>>than the other way around.
>
>Fine. If this analysis, one I accept Lenin used, is correct,
>then, by analysing flow of capital etc., we can say the US
>is a colony of China.

I do not think your statement is logically consistent with what is said
above.

If the direction of the flow of wealth is what determines who is the colony
and who is the colonizer, then according to the above, the Soviet Union was
a colony of Cuba. As for who is the colony and who is the colonizer between
the US and China, it appears that it is China who is the colony: China
exports to the US in US dollars and then recycles those dollars back to the
US to purchase the US treasury bonds. To put it differently, the US gets
Chinese goods for free. Hence, the direction of the flow of wealth is from
China to the US, not the other way around.

Sabri