[Marxism] Cuba and "actual organs of the working class in power"

Debordagoria phantasmagorias at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 30 07:55:05 MST 2005

--- Joaquín Bustelo <jbustelo at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Having said all that, I would agree that Cuba as it
> stood in the early
> 1960's was deficient in not having more systematic,
> structured forms for
> the direct, popular participation of working people
> in governing.
> However, in saying that I would be saying no more
> than what Fidel and
> other leaders said many times in those years, and
> especially in the
> summing up of the campaign for the 10 million ton
> sugar harvest in 1970.
> It was especially from that experience that the
> Cuban leadership saw the
> need for structured forms of proletarian democracy,
> and set about to
> create them, first with an experiment in the early
> 1970's in one of
> Cuba's provinces, and then with the extension of the
> People's Power
> system to the whole island a couple of years later.

It is at this point that I suspect Joaquin's
marvelously instructive account becomes vulnerable to
criticism. Certainly the many anti-Castro Cubans (from
all walks of life and several different generations) I
have spoken to over the years would claim that it
would be naive to believe that these efforts to create
"proletarian democracy" (from above) were anything
other than a sham.
Michael D