[Marxism] Idiot punditry

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Nov 30 09:48:07 MST 2005

Bush's Can't-Lose Reversal
Wednesday's speech will set the agenda for withdrawal from Iraq.
By Fred Kaplan
Posted Monday, Nov. 28, 2005, at 7:14 PM ET

Brace yourself for a mind-bog of sheer cynicism. The discombobulation
begins Wednesday, when President George W. Bush is expected to proclaim, in
a major speech at the U.S. Naval Academy, that the Iraqi security
forces—which only a few months ago were said to have just one battalion
capable of fighting on its own—have suddenly made uncanny progress in
combat readiness. Expect soon after (if not during the speech itself) the
thing that Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney have, just this month,
denounced as near-treason—a timetable for withdrawal of American troops.

And so it appears (assuming the forecasts about the speech are true) that
the White House is as cynical about this war as its cynical critics have
charged it with being. For several months now, many of these critics have
predicted that, once the Iraqis passed their constitution and elected a new
government, President Bush would declare his mission complete and begin to
pull out—this, despite his public pledge to "stay the course" until the
insurgents were defeated.

This theory explains Bush's insistence that the Iraqis draft and ratify the
constitution on schedule—even though the rush resulted in a seriously
flawed document that's more likely to fracture the country than to unite
it. For if the pullout can get under way in the opening weeks of 2006, then
the war might be nullified as an issue by the time of our own elections.

full: http://www.slate.com/id/2131125/

===

 From today's speech by George W. Bush:

With resolve, victory will be achieved, although not by a date certain.

No war has ever been won on a timetable and neither will this one.

But lack of a timetable does not mean our posture in Iraq (both military
and civilian) will remain static over time. As conditions change, our
posture will change.

We expect, but cannot guarantee, that our force posture will change over
the next year, as the political process advances and Iraqi security forces
grow and gain experience.

While our military presence may become less visible, it will remain lethal
and decisive, able to confront the enemy wherever it may organize.

Our mission in Iraq is to win the war. Our troops will return home when
that mission is complete.

full:
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/sections/news/051130_Iraq_National_Strategy.pdf

--