[Marxism] Is Marxmail a cult? only joking...

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Wed Nov 30 20:10:36 MST 2005

I suppose there are problems if people are confining their political
life to this list, but the list can't do much about that...unlike
political associations in RL.

Marxmail is one of the sanest email lists I've been on.  . . . OK, that
might be like saying the sanest person in the State Asylum. . . .

The internet has really tapped into a kind of technological utopianism
that goes way beyond old-fashioned utopianism that goes far to being
purely delusional.  There are people who think we can form political
groups and even revolutionary parties in cyberspace.  (Can we have our
own avatars, I wonder?)

On some of these lists, I found myself regularly tempted to "shout":

TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER.  IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE IT TO WORK, DON'T TURN
IT ON FOR MORE THAN ONCE A DAY.  WALK OUT YOUR FRONT DOOR AND TALK TO A
LIVING HUMAN BEING.  GO TO AN ACTUAL MEETING.

ML