[Marxism] Washington (Utah) State Green Party ...

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Wed Nov 30 21:50:28 MST 2005

I see ballot reform as very important, and not simply watered-down
moderate reforms.  The simple fact is that, in the United States today,
we don't have the most basic democratic rights.

I live in Ohio.  Here the Democrats threatened to file suit to keep
Ralph Nader off the ballot, so the Republicans obliged by saying no
write-ins would even be counted.  The two parties did agree to count
write-ins for David Cobb (who essentially urged Ohioans to vote for
Kerry since we were not a "safe state").  And, in a wonderfully karmic
way, the Republicans stole as many votes in the suburbs as they could
eat.

If you don't have the basic right to vote for the candidate of your
choice and get it counted, proportional representation is so much
utopian baying at the moon.

In fact, by the standards of the European Parliamentary Union, the
United States isn't enough of a representative democracy to gain
admission.

Had I any influence in such things, I'd try to put together a very broad
coalition of third parties to start filing formal protests with the
United Nations and every possible human rights agency in the world.

Solidarity!
Mark L.