[Marxism] Dave Marsh on Dylan

ethan young ethanyoung at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 1 20:56:37 MDT 2005

Marsh:
'Most important, perhaps, it is not so much a farewell to protest politics
but extremely political in a different way: His allegiance to the radicals
of SNCC, and to the kids in the Venceremos Brigade, which I presume is what
he means by "the folks who went to Cuba." 'The Venceremos Brigade launched in 1969. Dylan is refering to the Progressive Labor Movement, forerunner
 to PLP, which was the first group to organize a trip breaking the embargo on travel to Cuba. Later PL
attacked both Dylan and Cuba. The staunchly pro-Cuba Weatherman faction, organized primarily as
an alternative to PL's takeover of SDS, took their name from a Dylan lyric. And that, my friends, is the rest of the story.

ethan young