[Marxism] Biblical "truth"

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Wed Oct 5 08:23:11 MDT 2005

I should say that I was raised Catholic but haven't regarded myself as
one since...well, reading Tom Paine when I was about 14 or 15....  And I
only go to Mass or religious services of any sorts for funerals.... So
some folks may have a better grasp of these things than I do.  I just
wanted to correct a misimpression over Catholics and Fundamentalism on
evolution....

To Calvin: In dealing with Galileo and others, the Catholic church was
defending the Ptolemaic view of the solar system, a classical model that
jibed with the Bible rather than the Biblical model per se.  And I don't
think it enters into a position on evolution.

I agree that Protestantism was more conducive to the growth of science
than Catholicism, but it was also more conducive to genuinely bizarre
variants of Christianity up to and including religious cults than
Catholicism.

To Paul:  I don't know about Pope Benedict's dalliances with Opus Dei,
but I they are political moves within the Church.  We'll see if this guy
tries to reverse the trend...but the latest indications are that he
won't.

ML