[Marxism] Re: Cindy Sheehan moving to the center?

ethan young ethanyoung at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 5 21:16:52 MDT 2005

Notice how the sentinels of ideological precision go over every word
attributed to Sheehan - or anyone recognized as a
movement leader - as if one misstep will lead straight to hell.

Taken at face value, here's what I understand. Sheehan had a
reassuring talk with Clinton, but does not want the movement to
wait for a Clinton election, rather it should demand troops out now.
Form is diplomatic, content strategic. Not good enough for poster Stephens.

She's asked if she has a plan. She replies frankly: "I believe that our
military presence was never necessary there, and it's still not necessary.
I don't have a plan. I think that we have to start withdrawing our military
presence there, help the Iraqis as much as they need, put an Arab face on it."
Stephens interprets this to mean that Sheehan is suddenly against immediate
withdrawal, that she's capitulated to "the ABB crowd (e.g., Global Exchange)."

Ideologically precise, perhaps. But politically infantile. Sheehan should not be above criticism,
but she has earned respect. Don't expect her to speak from anyone else's script - or assume
that she's reading from someone else's if she deviates from yours.

By the way, I've seen nothing to suggest that Global Exchange supports Hillary. Show me.

ethan young