[Marxism] Thomas Aquinas and Agustine

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Thu Oct 6 07:32:15 MDT 2005

Enviado por:marxism-request at lists.econ.utah.edu
Con fecha:6 Oct 2005, a las 5:03

> Strictly speaking, the Catholic Church did not uphold the literal
> truth of the bible against Galileo. Rather, they objected to Galileo's
> right to reinterpret biblical passages to conform with an unproven
> theory.

And they did so by stepping up from a Tomist position, that is the
position of the bourgeoisie of the Late Middle Ages, produced by the
brewing of bourgeoisie and Aristotle by that great philosophical
alchemist, Thomas Aquinas in Paris.

This is still the mainstream line of thought in the Catholic Church.

The theses of Aquinas, by definition, made it almost impossible  to
revolt against authority.  And I say "almost", because no "form" can
have a "contents" of itself, and thus the Tomist lawyers of the
Spanish law school of Salamanca -somebody correct me if I am wrong
about the place, quoting by heart sorry- had arrived with Suárez at a
theory of the right to regicide if the King did not toe the law of
God --which (again by definition and against many Black Legend
prejudices may I say) was not the law of the priests but the law of
the people ("Vox Populi, Vox Dei":  the voice of the people is the
voice of God, you know).

Luther and the Protestants, in order to fight against the powers-that-
be, rejected Tomism _in toto_, rooting their system of belief in the
early middle ages ideological foundation of Augustinism. Thus they
instilled into every Protestant sect an original mistrust of reason
which can turn them against science with a lighter heart than
Catholic church.

There is a brilliant line by Chesterton, on "The Blue Cross", I
think, where Flambeau -astonished at the ability of his friend the
Catholic priest Father Brown to discover a thief disguised as a friar-
 gets this answer:  "He attacked reason.  That is bad theology".

As an Atheist Jew and a Marxist, I may say that somehow I watch these
things from the outside.  The anti-intellectual sense of most
Protestant sects is as evident to an external observer as the
rationalist discourse of the Catholic Church.  While Protestant
mysticism tends to have a heavier hand than its rationalism, Catholic
rationalism is quite stronger than its mysticism.

Este correo lo ha enviado
Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
[No necesariamente es su autor]