[Marxism] The immigration thread

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Oct 6 09:08:38 MDT 2005

>Perhaps I could have used less emotive terminology but
>I equate Islamism with fascism (is that a crime on
>this site, too?).

I wouldn't call it a crime exactly, but your use of the term "fascism" to
describe people like Muqtada al-Sadr presumably is certainly an offense
against Marxist thought. Fascism is an ultra-reactionary movement supported
by the big bourgeoisie against the threat of proletarian revolution.
Classic cases involve Nazi Germany and Franco's Spain. What this has to do
with guerrilla fighters in Iraq is beyond me. Furthermore,
anti-imperialists and revolutionaries in countries like your own Australia,
the USA and Great Britain should not be in the business of evaluating and
choosing sides in Iraq. Our focus should be simply on organizing mass
actions to force the imperialists out so that the Iraqis can determine
their own destiny. In fact, it has been people like Marc Cooper et al who
have gotten involved in this sort of thing. They counterpose backing the
IFTU to organizing protests around the slogan of "Out Now". Frankly, we
don't know enough about the fighters in Iraq to get involved in this sort
of thing to start with. When I was active with the Committee in Solidarity
with the People of El Salvador in the 1980s, we got regular briefings from
representatives of the FMLN-FDR. There is a dearth of such information
today, except from people like Sheik Hadi al-Khalassi of the Iraq National
Foundation Congress. You can read an interview with him here:

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=15&ItemID=7297

>If I ever say fascist filth when describing the Nazi
>filth, is this okay?

Yes, that's okay. But you'd be better off looking at things in class terms
rather than slinging epithets around. Have you ever read Marxist literature
on fascism? You'd find it quite illuminating.

--

www.marxmail.org