[Marxism] Re: WWP does it again

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 6 17:03:26 MDT 2005

Louis wrote: "No, it is important to fight intelligently."

So, does "fighting intelligently" involve repeatedly running down groups so
unimportant you don't even know their actual names, and who you claim are "a
nuisance and a sideshow"? Remind us again which "intelligent fights" against
the ruling class you've organized lately.

Andy wrote: "Half-million? By IAC/TONC? Please. On their own maybe they
could have achieved 10 to 20,000."

Well, just for starters, your use of "IAC/TONC" entirely omits ANSWER, a
mistake I wouldn't expect someone actually involved in the antiwar movement
to make, since it was ANSWER (not IAC/TONC) which actually CALLED the
demonstration on 9/24. As for the numbers, who is responsible for what
numbers in DC is unknowable, but in SF alone, where as far as I know UfPJ
played no role, there were 50,000. In DC, the key "UfPJ-organized" actions,
the civil disobedience and lobbying, attracted what? A few hundred people?

Referring back to Yoshie's report on the UfPJ conference in February here
<http://archives.econ.utah.edu/archives/marxism/2005w08/msg00183.htm>, their
proposal at that time was "for a proposal for 'World Day of Mobilization on
the U.N. against War' on September 10th," something they were so serious
about you won't even find it mentioned on their website, definitely not in
their "Strategic Framework":
<http://www.unitedforpeace.org/article.php?id=1872>

I wrote and I repeat: "They [ANSWER] were only instrumental in bringing
nearly a half-million people (across all cities) into the streets two
Saturday's ago to protest the war." I didn't say, nor do I believe, that
they did so singlehandedly; of course not. But they WERE "instrumental," and
Sept. 24 would not have happened without them.

Eli Stephens
  Left I on the News
  http://lefti.blogspot.com