[Marxism] RE: Washington's Lackey El Baradei

Louis R Godena louisgodena at ids.net
Sat Oct 8 07:55:30 MDT 2005

 From: "Tom O'Lincoln" <suarsos at alphalink.com.au>
To: <marxism at lists.econ.utah.edu>
Subject: [Marxism] RE: Washington's Lackey El Baradei

> You can call him a lackey of imperialism and I won't argue, but whether
> he's just a lackey of the US is not so clear to me. This nobel prize
> thing strikes me as a statement by the imperialists apart from the US
> that they are not going to allow Washington to dictate everything. That
> in turn may reflect the weakening of Bush's position post-Katrina.

Perhaps.  But I think the exemplar of the pro-European bureaucrat would have
to be El Baradei's fellow Egyptian,  Boutros Boutros-Ghali, Kofi Annan's
predecessor as UN Secretary-General.   Boutros-Ghali was essentially "kicked
out" of the job in 1997 by the U.S. for doing precisely what you attribute
to El Baradei.   The latter has uttered mild and innocuous criticisms of the
more dotty aspects of American policy but has kept his mouth shut on the
really important issues like non-proliferation for Israel and the US nuclear
presence on the Korean peninsula.   He is everywhere seen as an instrument
of American policy and his opinions are important only as they reflect US
government thinking on nuclear and energy issues.

Louis Godena