Asiatic mode of production ( was Re: [Marxism] Hillel Tick tin on the theory of decline and capital)

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Oct 8 13:19:46 MDT 2005

>Louis, did I miss the irony here? But please explain in what way the
>“Asiatic mode of production” should be discredited idea.
>
>Johannes

Read Perry Anderson's appendix on this in "Lineages of the Absolutist
State" or what Jim Blaut wrote in "Colonizer's Model of the World". China
and Asia were feudal societies, just like Western Europe. Also, the MIA
introduction to "Preface to a Contribution to the Critique of Political
Economy" states that M & E  dropped the idea of a distinct Asiatic mode of
production after 1857, and kept four basic forms: tribal, ancient, feudal,
and capitalist.