[Marxism] Pomeranz

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Oct 9 15:01:03 MDT 2005

Charles:
>In sum, the Khan tradition of conquest didn't enter in the "contest" in
>discussion. The Alexander-Caesar tradition did.

I don't buy the notion that Greco-Roman values explain the conquest of the
Americas. Remember how those voyages got started. They were trying to cut
out the middlemen in the Middle East. They sought a direct route to India
and China. Commercial imperatives drove exploration, not the Aeneid. Being
determines consciousness, not the other way around.