[Marxism] Pomeranz

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Mon Oct 10 14:27:14 MDT 2005

Louis Proyect :

Charles, Columbus set out to find a route to India that bypassed the Middle
East middlemen. By and large, spices were purchased from Arabs who bought
them from Indians. There were heavy duties imposed on them. After the
Portuguese opened up direct sea trade with India (and colonized Goa in the
process), the price came down. Europeans were still looking for new routes
so as to be free of Portuguese monopolies. Columbus was the first to attempt
a voyage to India by going the opposite direction.

^^^^^^
I think you are implying that the colonies were started as waystations along
the shipping route ? Then once established, a new idea occurred:  Start a
whole new country ?

Charles