[Marxism] Re: Che

Peter McLaren mclaren at gseis.ucla.edu
Mon Oct 10 14:38:06 MDT 2005

I have been contracted to do a primer on Che, following from my   Che
Guevara, Paulo Freire and the Pedagogy of Revolution (published in 2000).
The Che/Freire book to my knowledge is one of the few books (perhaps the
only book) in the US addressed to teachers and teacher educators about the
importance of Che. When I am invited to give talks,  my Che book often comes
up in the discussion, and there are the predictable attacks, most often
about the issue of Che participating in executions. In my book I didn¹t deal
with this issue (the list of alleged victims can be found on:
http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/che/che-executed.htm ) nor with his
famous quotation about the importance of hating one's enemy in battle.
"Hatred as an element of the struggle; a relentless hatred of the enemy,
impelling us above and beyond the natural limitations that man is heir to,
and transforming him into an effective, violent, seductive and cold killing
machine." Always there are red-baiting, anti-Che, foaming-at-the-mouth
comments from some people...but I specifically want to address the issue of
the executions.
Anybody who can share any links to research on this, or can share their
perspectives, I would be grateful. ...gracias camaradas.

Peter